Brine or Inject or Both?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

bignick

Meat Mopper
Original poster
Mar 22, 2008
Southaven, MS
Haven't been on here in a while...I bought a couple of 4 or 5 lb. birds today at wally world. This will be my first beer can chix smoke. It's funny to see that everyone else is doing poulty too! I guess its a change that everyone wants after doing ribs/butts/brisket a few times already.

My question: I bought an injector with some creole butter marinade. I have read that brining makes for a juicy bird. Does brining eliminate the need for injection? If I do both will it over do the meat? Any suggestions will be appreciated. I was thinking about doing one bird with the creole butter and one with wicker's and a dry rub on the outside.

I have never brined a bird, but have sure used a lot of Creole butter injection. I can't advise on using both, but you should be real happy injecting them.

You should be fine as long as your brine don't have a lot of salt. that inject your useing will help hold moisture also. the only chicken i eat is wings, but make alot of legs and theighs for my dots and comps and i brine them, but dont try to inject.

Try one each way, that will be interesting.

I do both when I do turkeys, of course thats at least a ten lb. bird. I'm also doing them as a cured/smoked product. I inject with 10% by weight (10# bird, 1# brine)of the same brine I soak the birds in. Soak for 3 hours in ice cold water, then into ice cold brine for 48 hours. Rinse with ice cold water then smoke. There are a lot of threads on brining in this section, with lots of very good info. Very important to keep your birds very cold during the brine period.

I do it both ways, ifin it be a bigger bird I will inject, turkeys always get stabbed. Here be what I use:

Slaughterhouse Brine:

1 1/2 Gal Water
1/2 C Salt
1/2 C Dark Brown Sugar
2 tsp Garlic Powder
2 tsp Onion Powder
2 tsp Cajun Spice
2 tsp Celery Salt

Slaughterhouse Injection:

1/2 Pkg Good Seasons Italian Dressing
2 tsp Garlic Powder
2 tsp Celery seed
2 TBS melted Butter
2 C Apple Cider

Slaughterhouse Spritz:

8 oz Apple Cider
6 oz Water
4 oz Whiskey
2 oz Cider Vinegar

Give em a spritz each hour. Gives em a nice sheen an heps crisp that skin up some.

Good luck an may the smoke gods smile upon yer cooker!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky