Brine for ducks?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
I just smoked my first duck on Thanksgiving using the apple/orange brine above. I was freaked out about all of the cure posts, so I added it to the brine, but not sure that I really needed it. My smoker was above 250 the entire time. I want to make this again for Christmas, as it was a hit - but wondering if I really need to add the cure.

Attachments

• IMG_6791.JPG
    IMG_6791.JPG
    197.4 KB · Views: 60
I just smoked my first duck on Thanksgiving using the apple/orange brine above. I was freaked out about all of the cure posts, so I added it to the brine, but not sure that I really needed it. My smoker was above 250 the entire time. I want to make this again for Christmas, as it was a hit - but wondering if I really need to add the cure.

If the smoker temp was above 225 all the time, no, you do not need to add the cure..
However, I use it even when it's not necessary because I like the flavor it imparts to some meats... I like the pink color too... I use it on my fish when I'm smoking or canning fish... The FDA even has a recommendation for adding cure #1 to some vegetables when canning... You usually only get botulism once...

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky