Brine cure temperature question.

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

unclejhim

Meat Mopper
Original poster
Mar 14, 2013
Folsom, La.
I have a 9 lb. picnic I'm curing. Using POP'S brine I injected it and then placed it in 3 gallon bucket. The meat is totally submerged in the brine and the bucket has an air tight screw on lid. This has been in the fridge for 7 days rotating every couple of days, so far so good, so far..... Apparently the fridge door didn't seal tight last night and when I checked this morning (06:00) the temperature of the brine was 60 degrees. Is this safe to continue curing ( originally I was shooting for 3 weeks )or should I toss it

I don't think that will be a problem but I have to ask, how much salt is in that brine?
Normal brine time for that cut of pork is 24 hours more or less.
If you used a ratio of 3/4 cup kosher (1/2 cup table salt) per 1/2 gal water then you are way past edible meat right now.
If you used a weak/er salt to water ratio the temp rise probably allowed enough bacteria to bloom that I would toss it.

I don't think that will be a problem but I have to ask, how much salt is in that brine?
Normal brine time for that cut of pork is 24 hours more or less.
If you used a ratio of 3/4 cup kosher (1/2 cup table salt) per 1/2 gal water then you are way past edible meat right now.
If you used a weak/er salt to water ratio the temp rise probably allowed enough bacteria to bloom that I would toss it.
Thanks

I'm with chopsaw chopsaw And one of the others will chime in. Either way don't feel bad, I once put 1/2 of a hog (broken down already) into my shop fridge @ 35 degrees. The next morning found the door partially open and meat temp around 60 degrees...now coyote food. But you might be ok because of being in cure.

Ryan

unclejhim unclejhim wait for one of the guys to come along and help you . Get that fridge cooled down while you're waiting . Let it ride until you get some better advice .
chef jimmyj chef jimmyj
That's what I'm hoping for. Meanwhile I did seaql the door this a.m
unclejhim unclejhim wait for one of the guys to come along and help you . Get that fridge cooled down while you're waiting . Let it ride until you get some better advice .
chef jimmyj chef jimmyj
That's what I'm hoping for.Thanks

I'm with chopsaw chopsaw And one of the others will chime in. Either way don't feel bad, I once put 1/2 of a hog (broken down already) into my shop fridge @ 35 degrees. The next morning found the door partially open and meat temp around 60 degrees...now coyote food. But you might be ok because of being in cure.

Ryan
That's what I'm going to do. Yotes eating good enough without help from me.

With the picnic submerged in a salted brine and the brine is containing cure # 1 the danger zone should not apply here. Such a short period of time at 60 degrees for any bacteria to form when its in a preservative.
I would keep going and keep the door shut.

My 2 cents

Boykjo

Joe is Correct. While curing at room temp the entire time would lead to souring and spoilage. A few hours at room temp, this far in , is no Safety issue at all...JJ

With the picnic submerged in a salted brine and the brine is containing cure # 1 the danger zone should not apply here. Such a short period of time at 60 degrees for any bacteria to form when its in a preservative.
I would keep going and keep the door shut.

My 2 cents

Boykjo
That was my thinking (wishful thinking). I'm gonna let it run at least two weeks and see what happens. Thanks

The question should be: "what was the MEAT internal temperature?", not the brine temperature!
I am certain the meat internal temperature was only increased a few degrees, regardless of curing brine temperature! You should be a-ok to go! Get it back down to temp!

Reactions: chef jimmyj
The question should be: "what was the MEAT internal temperature?", not the brine temperature!
I am certain the meat internal temperature was only increased a few degrees, regardless of curing brine temperature! You should be a-ok to go! Get it back down to temp!
Thanks POP. That make me feel better.

Joe is Correct. While curing at room temp the entire time would lead to souring and spoilage. A few hours at room temp, this far in , is no Safety issue at all...JJ

I've learned this stuff from these two guys...

Boykjo

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky