• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

Bream & Shellcracker Fishing...

SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Gonna Smoke

Smoking Guru
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Sep 19, 2018
...is something I haven't done in 15-20 years, but a friend asked me to join him and a buddy on a scouting trip. I didn't have a trip scheduled so I said sure, it'll be fun. Hadn't used my rods in so long the line was rotten and they were covered in dust. Cleaned them up, respooled, and off I went. Biggest thing I wanted to see was his LiveScope sonar in action looking for bream beds and this was a first for him, too. It did not disappoint. I wasn't sure what we'd see and only took the one pic, but here it is...
20240508_080517[1].jpg

Very distinct beds and fascinating to see, the technology almost isn't fair. The biggest bed filled up the whole screen. Don't worry about the depth, with the way he had the transducer positioned, it wouldn't read. These were in 3'-5' of water. This was the 1st bed we found and caught a few from it. Found a couple more small beds, but then found a big one and unfortunately I didn't get a pic. Because this was a play day and we were scouting, we didn't fish any bed very long before moving on to find some more. But we ended up with a decent box of fish for not really fishing very hard, plus we didn't want to clean that many 😄...
IMG_8293[1].jpg

Today sure was a lot of fun and hopefully it's not going to be that long before I get back at em again...

Gonna Smoke

Smoking Guru
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Sep 19, 2018
Imagine that... a retired guy, that still does guide fishing taking a day off from not working to goof off and go fishing for fun! :emoji_blush:
Anyway, sounds like ya had fun!

Ryan
Yeah, it's kinda what I do with my "days off"...🤣

SmokinEdge

Legendary Pitmaster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Jan 18, 2020
Looks like a fantastic catch and haul there Charles. Waiting for the cook now.

Gonna Smoke

Smoking Guru
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Sep 19, 2018
So just for reference, those biggest Shellcrackers are 12" long, they will stretch your line...

indaswamp

Epic Pitmaster
Staff member
OTBS Member
Apr 27, 2017
Looking at boats now. Want to find a 16'X48" flat bottom alweld jon boat with a jack plate and 25 yamaha. Trolling motor and front casting deck. Gonna get back into solo redfishing this summer. I love the solitude and peace out on the water...

clifish

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
May 25, 2019
Those are bluegill sunfish correct? look like them to me? I have heard the term bream but not shellcracker?

indaswamp

Epic Pitmaster
Staff member
OTBS Member
Apr 27, 2017
We call them chinquapin. Its the Red Ear Sunfish.

912smoker

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Nov 29, 2020
Now that's a great haul Charles!
My son went to the river last week and caught a nice mess so a fish fry is on order for soon.

I have heard some press about the LiveScope being used on the MLF and BASS circuit and sounds like changes may be coming for them.

Keith

DRKsmoking

Legendary Pitmaster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Jan 27, 2021
Work or play, a day on the water is always a good day Charles.

Checked my fishfinder, depthsounder the other day in the boat. G D tree rat, squirrel chewed the wires right at the ends.
Might be time for a new one.
Glad I had my chart plotter and the antenna and parts out of the boat.

David

Gonna Smoke

Smoking Guru
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Sep 19, 2018
Those are bluegill sunfish correct? look like them to me? I have heard the term bream but not shellcracker?
Cliff, there are different fish in that photo and are closely related. Both are sunfish as are largemouth bass. Shellcrackers are red-ear sunfish. They got the name shellcracker because they eat fresh water clams by cracking the shells with their jaws. Bream are called bluegill or sunfish in some parts of the country...

Last edited:

Gonna Smoke

Smoking Guru
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Sep 19, 2018
I have heard some press about the LiveScope being used on the MLF and BASS circuit and sounds like changes may be coming for them.
I've heard the same, but because there's so much money involved, I doubt much will change. Besides, everyone can use it plus the bass are released alive so no real harm done...

gmc2003

Epic Pitmaster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Sep 15, 2012
Looks like a fun day Charles. I strictly bank fish, but my wife goes out with her brother on the broad lake.

Point for sure
Chris

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Top Bottom
Clicky