Breaking in the WSM

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

$moke!t

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Sep 1, 2020
Finally got to break in the new toy. Grocery store had pork ribs on sale. Rubbed em in and threw em on.
20200930_102641.jpg

Looks like a good start!
I'm hoping there's a deal on a WSM on Prime Day. I've been thinking of getting one.

Now that is a close up shot of the food! Were you happy with how they came out? The look pretty good.
Too much smoke flavor and I cooked them at a higher temperature than anticipated so I didn't get that super juicy meat like I was hoping for.

Too much smoke flavor and I cooked them at a higher temperature than anticipated so I didn't get that super juicy meat like I was hoping for.
Were you cooking your ribs by time or internal temperature? Also, were you using the thermometer on the lid to regulate your grill temps? The thermometer on my lid can vary from the cooking grate temps by as much as 25 degrees.

Were you cooking your ribs by time or internal temperature? Also, were you using the thermometer on the lid to regulate your grill temps? The thermometer on my lid can vary from the cooking grate temps by as much as 25 degrees.
I started out doing it by time and figured I'd throw the temp gadge in after awhile but by the time I put it in ribs they were done. I put a probe inside my smoker to watch the temp. Mine is about the same as you. Off around 25 degrees everytime.

Trial and error is the best way to learn on the WSM. My first racks of ribs were good, the second set I made were horrible, and by the 4th rib cook I made I had a system down and they were great. Don't be afraid to ask questions in chat to get a quick answer.

As an aside, write down what you do in a notebook or a piece of paper so you don't have to scratch your brain trying to remember what happened in your last cook.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky