Breakfast links and experimenting

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

gulf shucker

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Dec 29, 2014
North Alabama
IMG_20180506_082746.jpg

Had a picnic shoulder so I decided to do some experimenting. Grinded this up.
IMG_20180506_082751.jpg
IMG_20180506_092930.jpg

First batch was mixed with sage, crushed juniper berries and lemon zest, salt and pepper to taste.
IMG_20180505_081342_01.jpg

Test Patty.
IMG_20180509_184736.jpg

I wanted to use sheep cases and attempted but got frustrated, I soaked them for a couple of days while changing the water but they were still too small for my smallest horn and ripped easily. I decided to try collegen for the first time here.
IMG_20180513_091016.jpg

Stuffing. I twisted twice to link them, I know collegen is difficult to link, I figured I could freeze them in place.
IMG_20180513_095300.jpg

Linked 4 per
IMG_20180513_162846.jpg

Placed on a tray to freeze the links, will vacuum seal with 4 links per pack. This batch above was mixed with sage, cinnamon and sugar, red chili flakes, salt and pepper to taste for a breakfast style. Thanks for looking!

Reactions: crazymoon
I tried the sheep casing and got very frustrated, very quickly. I would prefer to use them but I could not get them started on the horn and when I did they ripped right into.
Your links look great!
I use sheep casing for my breakfast links.
But yours look fantastic!
Al

Looks good. As far as sheep casings, soak them in water for a few days changing the water everyday. Makes thet super soft. Bit you need to have a small enough tube for them.

Another option is to put them thru the stuffer with no casing . Cut them to length and freeze on a sheet tray . Then bag or vac seal .

Links look good I use sheep most times,last batch I had to many blow outs an finished with collagen
Richie

View attachment 363762
Had a picnic shoulder so I decided to do some experimenting. Grinded this up.
View attachment 363763 View attachment 363764
First batch was mixed with sage, crushed juniper berries and lemon zest, salt and pepper to taste.
View attachment 363765
Test Patty.
View attachment 363766
I wanted to use sheep cases and attempted but got frustrated, I soaked them for a couple of days while changing the water but they were still too small for my smallest horn and ripped easily. I decided to try collegen for the first time here.
View attachment 363767
Stuffing. I twisted twice to link them, I know collegen is difficult to link, I figured I could freeze them in place.
View attachment 363768
Linked 4 per
View attachment 363769
Placed on a tray to freeze the links, will vacuum seal with 4 links per pack. This batch above was mixed with sage, cinnamon and sugar, red chili flakes, salt and pepper to taste for a breakfast style. Thanks for looking!
I use sheep casing for my breakfast sausage from your pics you just had wrong stuffing horn on stuffer just need smaller size they are available

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky