1. Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

Breakfast links and experimenting

Discussion in 'Sausage' started by gulf shucker, May 13, 2018.

1. IMG_20180506_082746.jpg
    Had a picnic shoulder so I decided to do some experimenting. Grinded this up.
    IMG_20180506_082751.jpg IMG_20180506_092930.jpg
    First batch was mixed with sage, crushed juniper berries and lemon zest, salt and pepper to taste.
    IMG_20180505_081342_01.jpg
    Test Patty.
    IMG_20180509_184736.jpg
    I wanted to use sheep cases and attempted but got frustrated, I soaked them for a couple of days while changing the water but they were still too small for my smallest horn and ripped easily. I decided to try collegen for the first time here.
    IMG_20180513_091016.jpg
    Stuffing. I twisted twice to link them, I know collegen is difficult to link, I figured I could freeze them in place.
    IMG_20180513_095300.jpg
    Linked 4 per
    IMG_20180513_162846.jpg
    Placed on a tray to freeze the links, will vacuum seal with 4 links per pack. This batch above was mixed with sage, cinnamon and sugar, red chili flakes, salt and pepper to taste for a breakfast style. Thanks for looking!

crazymoon likes this.
  2. crazymoon

crazymoon Master of the Pit SMF Premier Member

GS, Fine looking links and some good breakfast meals coming up ! Nice looking stuffer . like

3. Thanks, I do like my stuffer!

4. SmokinAl

SmokinAl Smoking Guru Staff Member Moderator OTBS Member ★ Lifetime Premier ★

Your links look great!
    I use sheep casing for my breakfast links.
    But yours look fantastic!
    Al

5. Looks great, nice job, thanks

6. I tried the sheep casing and got very frustrated, very quickly. I would prefer to use them but I could not get them started on the horn and when I did they ripped right into.

7. Thanks!

8. pc farmer

pc farmer Smoking Guru Staff Member Moderator OTBS Member ★ Lifetime Premier ★

Looks good. As far as sheep casings, soak them in water for a few days changing the water everyday. Makes thet super soft. Bit you need to have a small enough tube for them.

9. chopsaw

chopsaw Master of the Pit SMF Premier Member

Another option is to put them thru the stuffer with no casing . Cut them to length and freeze on a sheet tray . Then bag or vac seal .

10. bdskelly

bdskelly Smoking Guru OTBS Member SMF Premier Member ★ Lifetime Premier ★

Nice links! B

11. tropics

tropics Smoking Guru ★ Lifetime Premier ★

Links look good I use sheep most times,last batch I had to many blow outs an finished with collagen
    Richie

12. Thanks

13. I do not blame you

14. That's a great idea, I may try that next time.

15. Gwanger

Gwanger Smoking Fanatic

I use sheep casing for my breakfast sausage from your pics you just had wrong stuffing horn on stuffer just need smaller size they are available