1. Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

Breakfast links and experimenting

Discussion in 'Sausage' started by gulf shucker, May 13, 2018.

1. gulf shucker

gulf shucker Smoke Blower

IMG_20180506_082746.jpg
    Had a picnic shoulder so I decided to do some experimenting. Grinded this up.
    IMG_20180506_082751.jpg IMG_20180506_092930.jpg
    First batch was mixed with sage, crushed juniper berries and lemon zest, salt and pepper to taste.
    IMG_20180505_081342_01.jpg
    Test Patty.
    IMG_20180509_184736.jpg
    I wanted to use sheep cases and attempted but got frustrated, I soaked them for a couple of days while changing the water but they were still too small for my smallest horn and ripped easily. I decided to try collegen for the first time here.
    IMG_20180513_091016.jpg
    Stuffing. I twisted twice to link them, I know collegen is difficult to link, I figured I could freeze them in place.
    IMG_20180513_095300.jpg
    Linked 4 per
    IMG_20180513_162846.jpg
    Placed on a tray to freeze the links, will vacuum seal with 4 links per pack. This batch above was mixed with sage, cinnamon and sugar, red chili flakes, salt and pepper to taste for a breakfast style. Thanks for looking!

crazymoon likes this.
  2. crazymoon

crazymoon Master of the Pit SMF Premier Member

GS, Fine looking links and some good breakfast meals coming up ! Nice looking stuffer . like

3. gulf shucker

Thanks, I do like my stuffer!

4. SmokinAl

SmokinAl Smoking Guru Staff Member Moderator OTBS Member ★ Lifetime Premier ★

Your links look great!
    I use sheep casing for my breakfast links.
    But yours look fantastic!
    Al

5. shoebe

shoebe Meat Mopper SMF Premier Member

Looks great, nice job, thanks

6. gulf shucker

I tried the sheep casing and got very frustrated, very quickly. I would prefer to use them but I could not get them started on the horn and when I did they ripped right into.

7. gulf shucker

Thanks!

8. c farmer

c farmer Smoking Guru Staff Member Moderator OTBS Member ★ Lifetime Premier ★

Looks good. As far as sheep casings, soak them in water for a few days changing the water everyday. Makes thet super soft. Bit you need to have a small enough tube for them.

9. chopsaw

chopsaw Master of the Pit SMF Premier Member

Another option is to put them thru the stuffer with no casing . Cut them to length and freeze on a sheet tray . Then bag or vac seal .

10. bdskelly

bdskelly Smoking Guru OTBS Member SMF Premier Member ★ Lifetime Premier ★

Nice links! B

11. tropics

tropics Smoking Guru ★ Lifetime Premier ★

Links look good I use sheep most times,last batch I had to many blow outs an finished with collagen
    Richie

12. gulf shucker

Thanks

13. gulf shucker

I do not blame you

14. gulf shucker

That's a great idea, I may try that next time.