Breakfast casserole

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Steve H

Epic Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Feb 18, 2018
Newark New York
Getting a dish ready to take to my son's house later this morning. We've had this many times before. It's easy and filling.
1 lb bacon, Cooked and drained.
12 eggs
1 cup milk
1/2 tsp garlic powder
Kosher salt to taste. I use 1/2 teaspoon. Taking into account the salt in the bacon.
Black pepper to taste. I use 1 tsp
1.5 pound frozen shredded hash browns
1 medium onion diced small
2 cups cheddar cheese. Yeah right! I just make sure each layer looks good!

PC250287.jpg

The goods.

PC250288.jpg

PC250291.jpg

Spray the crockpot with cooking spray and start making layers with each having hash browns, cheese, onions, and bacon.

PC250293.jpg

I usually got 4 layers total.

PC250289.jpg

Mix eggs, milk, and spices until blended. Love that boat motor!

PC250293.jpg

Pour mixture over potatoes. Put crockpot on low. And cook for 6 hours or until eggs are fluffy.

That's pretty creative. You ever try sautéing the Taters and Onions to bring out their flavors more before layering? I have to give this a try...JJ

Looks like my kind of Breakfast.

Point for sure
Chris

That's pretty creative. You ever try sautéing the Taters and Onions to bring out their flavors more before layering? I have to give this a try...JJ

I've done that before with the onions. But not the potatoes. Interesting idea. Thank you.

Reactions: chef jimmyj
That looks tasty! I wouldn't have thought of using the crockpot to cook it - nice and easy option. Certainly got me thinking. Do you always use red onion in yours? I wonder what a Vidalia might be like it.

That looks tasty! I wouldn't have thought of using the crockpot to cook it - nice and easy option. Certainly got me thinking. Do you always use red onion in yours? I wonder what a Vidalia might be like it.

Thanks! I've used Vidalias before. They work just as well. Regular white onions are not very good in this. Too strong IMHO

Looks good Steve! I make something similar in my dutch oven...should have planned to do that this morning.

Steve that looks excellent!

LIKE!

My wife and I just had the same thing except we substituted chorizo for the bacon. Very nice as a burrito.

We do this a lot but and change up the meat for sausage or bacon or left over steak etc. But never thought of doing it in a slow cooker....breakfast for dinner!

John

Reactions: Steve H
Steve that looks excellent!

LIKE!

My wife and I just had the same thing except we substituted chorizo for the bacon. Very nice as a burrito.

We do this a lot but and change up the meat for sausage or bacon or left over steak etc. But never thought of doing it in a slow cooker....breakfast for dinner!

John

Thanks! I've done this with bacon, ham, and sausage combined before. Came out good.Just make sure the sausage is well drained first. I haven't tried this with chorizo. Sounds like it would be tasty with a tad of spice in it.

Reactions: Smokin' in AZ
Damn Steve that looks awesome!...will have to try this. Is there a way or method to cook it up faster? 6 hours would be tough for a breakfast? Also as the recipe sits, how many people could that feed?

thx Cliff

Damn Steve that looks awesome!...will have to try this. Is there a way or method to cook it up faster? 6 hours would be tough for a breakfast? Also as the recipe sits, how many people could that feed?

thx Cliff

It is a full crock pot. The wife and I will get 3 meals out of it. As a side? Who knows. There was 12 of us yesterday. And with the french toast and eggs there were left overs. You could cook it the day before and reheat it. It tastes just as good reheated.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky