Breaded Dill Shrimp

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

disco

Epic Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Oct 31, 2012
Canadian Rockies
A request was made. She Who Must Be Obeyed wanted breaded shrimp. I prefer unbreaded shrimp that is marinated and grilled but who am I to deny a beautiful woman who has made me happy for decades?

I had about 30 medium shrimp that were shelled and deveined but the tails left on. I patted them dry with a paper towel.

I preheated my Traeger Timberline to 425 F (220 C).

I set up a breading station. First, I mixed 75 ml (1/3 cup) flour with 5 ml (1 tsp) dried dill weed, 3 ml (1/2 teaspoon) each salt and pepper.

Next, I mixed 1 egg, 125 ml (1/2 cup) milk, and 5 ml (1 tsp) Sriracha sauce.

Lastly, I mixed 250 ml (1 cup) panko bread crumbs, and 10 ml (2 tsp) dried dill.

I dipped the prawns in the flour with my right hand. I put them in the egg mixture with my left hand. Then I put them on the breadcrums with my left hand and shoveled bread crumbs over them with my dry right hand.

Breaded Shrimp 1.jpg

I put the prawns on a rack and sprayed them with baking spray.

Breaded Shrimp 2.jpg

I put them in the smoker for 4 minutes and turned the prawns. I continued to cook until they got golden, about 4 minutes more.

Breaded Shrimp 4.jpg

Breaded Shrimp 5.jpg

I served these with a commercial seafood sauce.

The Verdict

She Who Must Be Obeyed was pleased. The shrimp had a nice crunchy coating. The touch of the heat from the sriracha was nice and the dill added a nice complexity.

I will say again that I prefer marinated and grilled prawns but I did enjoy these.

Disco

they look good from here disco, but it doesn't matter what i think as long as the wife was please it's a winner.

Reactions: Mike R.
They look good. We usually fry breaded shrimp, but I need to try baking them. Less mess...JJ

Those shrimp look to be excellent from where I'm sitting Disco, Like! We eat a lot of shrimp, usually breaded and fried in olive oil and butter and quite often these days using a CI tray with the Weber kettle. I make a ketchup based cocktail sauce for shrimp, change up the flavor a bit now and then. RAY

They look Awesome, Disco!!
I used to eat them Breaded, as a Kid, But changed & Love them best Grilled, Broiled, or Pan Sautéed, with Melted Butter.
However seeing yours, I think I gotta try some Breaded again, for a change!!
Like.

Bear

they look good from here disco, but it doesn't matter what i think as long as the wife was please it's a winner.

True words, Jim! Thanks!

Looks great Disco
Mona would love that, as i don't eat any shell fish. Just dont care for the texture . But i cook it all the time for Mona now. She would die for a feed of Halibut cheeks, i must get down to the wharf soon for her birthday is coming up

David

Mona is a wise woman! I am jealous of both of you, David. There is such great seafood there. It is hard to get here in the Rockies.

They look good. We usually fry breaded shrimp, but I need to try baking them. Less mess...JJ

I won't lie to you Chef. I prefer breaded fried but orders from a higher power make that a no go.

Reactions: chef jimmyj
Looks good Disco!
I like shrimp any way you fix them!
Al

Same, same, Al! Thanks!

You do good keeping the wifey happy and I wouldnt turn a dozen or so of those down.
Jim

Har! I have amost 46 years of training, Jim! She says I'm half way there.

Those shrimp look to be excellent from where I'm sitting Disco, Like! We eat a lot of shrimp, usually breaded and fried in olive oil and butter and quite often these days using a CI tray with the Weber kettle. I make a ketchup based cocktail sauce for shrimp, change up the flavor a bit now and then. RAY

I would prefer to fry these, Ray. However, apparently, that is not allowed.

• Haha
Reactions: JLeonard
Nice looking shrimps, disco! Looks very appetizing!

Thanks so much!

They look Awesome, Disco!!
I used to eat them Breaded, as a Kid, But changed & Love them best Grilled, Broiled, or Pan Sautéed, with Melted Butter.
However seeing yours, I think I gotta try some Breaded again, for a change!!
Like.

Bear

I'm with you, Bear. I think the shrimp take up more flavour with those methods but I don't mind breaded when She Who Must Be Obeyed wants them.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky