Braised Chuck Roast, Beef Marsala Gravy, & Homemade Egg Noodles (Pic Heavy)

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Wow off the chart , you been knocking them out of the park lately
Thanks mike. I went a month or so with no real motivation and we ate funky dinners for a while. the past couple weeks I'm getting back into the swing of things though and having some fun again.

Robert

As always , great meal and write up.

I'm with Ryan Brokenhandle Brokenhandle I would have more gravy,
and I'm with Tracy, Mona can have my muchrooms

And your getting good use of your pasta maker

Great meal Robert
Thank you David. As I replied to Ryan, I keep the gravy minimalist for the sake of documentation. I want folks to see the entire plate, not just an ocean of gravy. that comes after the picture taking is done :emoji_laughing:

Robert

Reactions: DRKsmoking
That looks wonderful Robert, few things go better together than beef and mushrooms (if you like them)…presentation or not, that’s a meal worthy to be on a menu at any fine dining establishment!
Couldn't agree more Joe. It's just elevated comfort food, that's all. A slightly different twist on down home southern cooking...but it sure was good!!

Robert

Hmmm what do I say besides wow! The last time I smoked chuckies I made burnt ends. They were good but braising looks awesome. I think I know how I am doing it next time.
Thanks so much for the kind words. Giving credit where credit is due, we have civilsmoker civilsmoker to thank for this, and a HUGE thanks from me. this was by far the best chuck roast I've ever had.

Robert

Robert that looks really good!!! I love noodles like that and smoked chuck can be elegante for sure, it's just full of flavor! The color on your roux looked perfect, it has that rich nutty flavor like that, per tastyness for sure!
Thank you for the kind words and thank you for sharing the process. This is a keeper for sure. Having made thousands of gallons of gravy, I know that if you get the roux darker like I did, you'll get a darker gravy, which is what I wanted. True as you noted though, it does add considerably to the flavor.

Robert

Reactions: civilsmoker
Robert amazing cook start to finish! I may have to copy you and Civil and keto this up!! I swear that chick is perfect the smoke ring has a smoke ring!
Thanks Jeff and I can only imagine what you'd come up with...5-star, world-class, magazine quality. Don't keep us waiting buddy :emoji_wink:

Robert

Reactions: jcam222
Fair warning: this was a very involved and lengthy process so a lot of pics for documentation. A couple weeks ago our good friend civilsmoker civilsmoker posted his absolutely amazing chuck roast and beef Marsala gravy. Sometimes we see a post here and just say to ourselves "I gotta make that, no matter what" and that's what happened with this one. As soon as I read his thread I got a chuck roast out of the freezer to defrost and made the meal the next day.

The roast: 3# CPB Chuckie.
View attachment 654426

Seasoned up with the insane rub mixture I put together a year or so ago.
View attachment 654427

I wanted to save the drippings from the roast for the gravy so got the rack from my turkey roasting pan, turned it upside down on the Rec Tec with the roast on top and a foil pan underneath.
View attachment 654428

An hour and a half at low temp / extreme smoke. Bump temp to 265 and let it go.
View attachment 654430

Time to get the dough going for the egg noodles. All the goodies in the Ninja food processor.
View attachment 654431

Dough ball getting happy. Here ya go Derek ( @Central PA Cowboy ) this one is for you :emoji_wink:
View attachment 654432

After a couple hour rest in the fridge, the dough is ready to roll out.
View attachment 654433

A plate full of fresh egg noodles.
View attachment 654434

I wanted to do something fun, creative, and different with asparagus. Decided to make a grilled casserole. Asparagus tips, 3 T melted butter, Parmesan cheese, and fresh minced garlic.View attachment 654435

Mix it up and into a CI skillet and top with some bread crumbs. Looks kinda funky, that's for sure.
View attachment 654439

The roast at the 5 hour mark. Starting to separate but that's ok.
View attachment 654438

Time to get the beef Marsala gravy going. Butter and flour for the roux and simmer till it starts to get fairly dark. I didn't get any drippings from the roast so had to start from the scratch with the gravy.
View attachment 654440

Beef broth, Marsala wine, BTB beef base, and black pepper. simmer till it thickens and try not to pass out from the amazing aroma. This stuff is off the charts!!
View attachment 654441

Here is where things get really twisted up. Civil went traditional and put mushrooms in the gravy. Tracy isn't a fan of 'shrooms but I am so had to find a different way to work them in. A big Portabelle cleaned out and ready to go on the grill for a few minutes.
View attachment 654442

The roast after about 8 hours smoking now into the braising liquid, exactly as Civil posted it. I did have to make one small change. No red wine opened so I used Dow Ruby Red Porto and Vermouth instead. Back on the smoker now.
View attachment 654443

Couple more hours and the roast is ready to pull. Oh wow!!
View attachment 654445
View attachment 654446

Pulled, back into the pan with some of braising liquid, and onto the grill to keep warm.
View attachment 654447

Asparagus casserole on the grill.
View attachment 654448

Portabella on the grill to lightly cook.
View attachment 654449

Noodles into a pan of boiling water for a couple minutes.
View attachment 654450

Bring it all in and start final assembly. Mushroom with noodles loaded in, pile on the chuck roast, and top with the gravy. Serve with a side of the asparagus casserole.
View attachment 654452

And the close up shot of course.
View attachment 654453

This was an absolute winner of a meal and as legit as it can get from one of our most respected members. Hats off to Civil for posting this. Never in my life would I have considered smoked chuck roast to be upscale or elegant, but this certainly was. A truly decadent dinner. I didn't get the visual I was hoping for. I'd envisioned this phenomenal, fantastic fungal feature with a beautiful mushroom bowl of perfection but what I got instead was a Portabella pancake. As soon as the hot noodles and roast hit the mushroom, it cratered. Still had the amazing flavor I wanted but the visual fell far short. Oh well, was still one fine meal. It was an all-day marathon and a ton of work but oh so worth it in the end. A very simple plate but it hit on every flavor indulgence I was hoping for...and that asparagus casserole was over the top good. I know there are a few folks here that love the stuff and I cannot recommend this highly enough.

Oh well, long winded and I'm calling it done...but you were warned from the outset :emoji_wink:

Take care everybody and have a great weekend.
Robert
My favorite, well done

Last edited:
Looks awesome. I can't wait to try this - minus the hand made egg noodles. I have never made pasta and do not think I have the patience to do so.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky