Boudin, The Cajun Burito!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Its all started with my Pops garden, he planted 1000's of strawberry plants every year, No he didn't sell them, we (yes heavy on that we) would pick e. daily cause you couldn't get 'em all in one day, so he could give 'em away. Thats how everything in his garden was done. He planted and raised stuff for fun, then we'd pick it and give it away. All the "gentlemen farmers" could have something to sit and sip cold beverages and talk about every evening up at the garage (that was the local name for the restaurant/bar up the road).

Now some of the farmers drop by and bring him stuff, that is where the cabbage, parsley, and green onions cane from.

Thats a load of strawberries so I looked for things to do with 'em, Pop wouldn't eat frozen berries. Then when plum season hit, and lemon season, and muscasdine, etc etc etc.... now every time I peel and cut up fruit, I throw the peels and core or whatever in a jar and set it to soaking.

I am trying Kumquats like lemon peels to see if I get a mild orange liqueur. Its such a pain though to peel without any of the white pith.

I just enjoy things that amuse sailors and young children. LOL
It is good to have hobbies!  That sounds like a good use for Kumquats.....I've never exactly figured out how to use them, except as a little bit of color in a fruit or green salad.  Too bitter to eat much of.

You've got me inspired!  I'll have to start up another batch of liqueur once I get my limoncello bottled up and given away.

You've got me inspired!  I'll have to start up another batch of liqueur once I get my limoncello bottled up and given away.
Yup Clar.

Kev has that effect on a bunch of us. I know he makes me want to drink  more!  
cheers.gif

So ol' buddy… Hows them links looking in the smoker? Inquiring minds want to know.
th_wsmsmile0ly.gif

b

Last edited:

It is good to have hobbies!  That sounds like a good use for Kumquats.....I've never exactly figured out how to use them, except as a little bit of color in a fruit or green salad.  Too bitter to eat much of.

I never liked marmalade, I can't imagine the kumquat peel tasting good, they make nice presentation ornaments on the bone tips of a crown rib roast. BUT bored one day, I tried this a few weeks ago and seriously fell in love with it!

http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/t/152950/citrus-kumquats

Its sweet, sour, a little bitter and smooth as honey! It shocked me! If you don't like it as a jelly (and I can't imagine that), I am thinking it would also make an outstanding glaze!

Last edited:
Ok, so today we.........

Fired up the smoker, charged with pecan, Gwad I love that smell!

Sure looked like I made more than that last night....... Can you say, excessive taste testing.

Had a little trouble because of the low temps I was trying to smoke with, even with the vents open But I figured it out.

Taking a little color and the smell........ Oh my goodness! BTW that is 3 hours into the smoke.

I have 6 pots like this which is all that is left of my Mom's old plant which was HUGE. Its a Christmas cactus, it true to form they all bloomed this last week. Mom's would have hundreds of blooms, hope someday these take off and start growing again.

Back later with more.

I have a question for the pro's. Is there no easy way to tie the links separately?

I still have to try making Boudin. Your thread is helpful getting the back round of Boudin. Thanks for posting! I love watching the color change on sausage. Missed the cheese curds last Friday I'll try again next week.

OK, so I made a rookie mistake, I just can't help myself when smoking, if a little is good more must be better. I started to pull it and noticed what I estimated to be maybe 30 to 45 mins. of smoke left, so I did. Went out almost 45 mins later, it was still smoking but nearly done, so I left it. I went out the last time and pulled it. The temp has sneaked up to near 140.

It is without a doubt the best boudin I have ever tasted!

But that last hour and a half or 2 hours it did get too hot and my rices is kinda mushie. Its delicious, just a bad texture. I have it under a fan cooling and drying before it gets to the freezer. It really is outstanding, I can't praise the taste too high. Just should have removed it earlier.

I wish I could give everyone a bite so you could Ooo and ahhhh too!

I believe we could get rich selling this stuff! This is so much better than a burrito!

That's it for todays adventures with Boudin, Thanks for checking it out!

Last edited:
Reactions: snorkelinggirl
DANG GUM IT MAN!

Slapping my knee and stomping my foot through the front porch.  That looks awesome Kevin!

….Jumping in the car a driving down for a taste. Take the home brew outta the cupboard cousin!!!!

B

Last edited:
Hey Kevin,

Wow, that is some amazing color on your boudin!  I'd also like to get on your mailing list...put me in line right behind Disco and Brian!

Now that you have a decent sausage stuffer, I'm looking forward to seeing more of your creations!

Have a great night!

Clarissa

We all genuflect to the Boss of the Boudin!

Disco
Thank you sir, This time I surprised myself. Maybe it had just been too long since I had good Boudin. Like you noticed in the post everyone has their idea what is the best boudin, problem is just finding it.

DANG GUM IT MAN!

Slapping my knee and stomping my foot through the front porch.  That looks awesome Kevin!

….Jumping in the car a driving down for a taste. Take the home brew outta the cupboard cousin!!!!

B
It is pretty good Brian, I do wish I could share. Man now just wait for the next batch...LOL I have three freezers, if I keep this up I will need four. And a bag and tag system.

Thank you

Hey Kevin,

Wow, that is some amazing color on your boudin!  I'd also like to get on your mailing list...put me in line right behind Disco and Brian!

Now that you have a decent sausage stuffer, I'm looking forward to seeing more of your creations!

Have a great night!

Clarissa
Color is nice, the smoke it outstanding, but next time I am going to get the smoke and the texture. I so wish I could share with you all, it is pretty good. I am sitting here having Boudin nachos. Who knew?

Thank you M'Lady, I appreciate the compliment.

I still have to try making Boudin. Your thread is helpful getting the back round of Boudin. Thanks for posting! I love watching the color change on sausage. Missed the cheese curds last Friday I'll try again next week.
Thanks friend, you should try it. Its like smoking anything else, make it the way you'd like it.

Wow, a thread that mentions Grits.  Me being the only Canadian I know that eats them on regular schedule and gets them shipped to from the USA

Oh no my friend

Been eating grits for years.  Just love them--specially when cooked with bacon greese

Gary
LOL... you should have seen me in Wisconsin teaching the little greasy spoon cook were we stopped every night, while night steaming, for breakfast how to make grits and coffee. He kept trying to feed us Farina and hot tea with our steak and eggs! Finally gave up on the coffee, he could never grasp that seeing the bottom of the cup with coffee in its was not a good thing.

Me I like grits for breakfast with my eggs, not too big on garlic cheese grits or shrimp & grits, or any of the other flavors used as a main starch. But for breakfast when cook right just can't be beat. I was lucky enough to get in the kitchen in a semi-large truck stop in Arkansas to see these really tastee ham steaks and the cook showed me how he made grits, not in a huge pan on the stove, he cooked 'em in a big pot set in a small steam kettle thingie he had built I guess. Best creamiest tenderest grits I ever had. And I went back for the hams steaks! You just never know.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky