Boston Butt Temperature Decrease

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

arottenegg

Original poster
Oct 5, 2011
I have been smoking an 8 pound boston butt at 225* for about 18 hours. It had plateaued at 160* for a while and I had thought it was going to plateau again at 180*, but it has dropped from 184* to 1676* in the last hour. Should I be worried about this decrease in temp?

I'm hoping to eat it for dinner in about 3 hours, should I increase the smoker temp?

Any input would be very appreciated.

Rottengg

3b3aab38_ScreenShot2011-10-15at3.04.57PM.png

On one hand, I wouldn't worry about a slight decrease in temp...it happens

On the other hand, it's cooking a little slower than average (though many factors may explain this), you might want to verify your smoker temp...

did you foil it ? that will get the temp up quick . Like "supercenterchef " said. I would verify that the temp gauge on the smoker right

Yes how did it turn out?

As the others have said it seems like your smoker temp may be lower than you think.

Thank you for all your comments. The grill temperature probe had slipped off of it's insulating gasket and was directly in contact with the clip attached to the grill grate. Once fixed the probe, it was about 50* under temp. I ended up bumping up the temp on the smoker to 275* and it got up to 205* about 3 hours later.

After letting it rest for about 45 minutes, the pulled pork was very tasty and couldn't tell that anything had gotten wrong. 

Thanks again for all your comments.

Rottenegg

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky