Boston Butt Pulled Pork (Step by Step)

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Nice looking Pork   Good Job   
icon14.gif

Gary

Now that is one nice looking Butt   Great job  
points1.png

Gary

Great step by step. Thanks. I plan smoking a Boston Butt for July 4.
Do you think anything in your instructions would change using my off set smoker. I can dial in temps pretty well. Not sure if cooking time would change much.

Thanks Strongtree!!!

Nothing I can think of---If you use the same temps, the time should be similar, but every hunk of meat is different.

We never put water in our Water Pans in MES Smokers. I don't know if you should or shouldn't in your Offset Smoker.

I'll be watching for it.

Bear

Gonna be cooking a butt tomorrow. I'm gonna try following most of the steps you listed. The only one I'm not gonna mess with is starting at so low a temp. I'll probably start around 240. Since this is a cook for Saturday I'll be able to mess around and see exactly how long it will take for me to cook. Never thought about saving the juices and fat. Can't wait to see what those will taste like.

LOOKING FORWARD TO TRYING OUT THIS METHOD ON JULY 4TH.!

I have a 9 3/4 pound Pork Shoulder and will season it up tomorrow.

STEP BY STEP.

I I will post pics. lol

Alll the best to all you Carnivores and Smoke Huffers!

Have a great, tasty and safe Independence Day!

Hey Bear I have a question...when you foil the butt in the pan, how do you go about keeping the probe in the meat? Do you poke it through the top of the foil or do you like run the wire off the side of the pan and wrap the foil over it? I just got a Maverick ET-733 and I'm trying it for the first time this weekend so I've never done this whole probing thing.

Hey Bear I have a question...when you foil the butt in the pan, how do you go about keeping the probe in the meat? Do you poke it through the top of the foil or do you like run the wire off the side of the pan and wrap the foil over it? I just got a Maverick ET-733 and I'm trying it for the first time this weekend so I've never done this whole probing thing.
I've done that both ways you mentioned.

Sticking it through the foil makes it hard to judge where the center is. I found angling the probe from the side to center in a way that the cable end isn't so far away from the pan. Then laying the doubled foil over the Butt, and tucking all 4 sides of the foil up under the lip of the pan real good works best.

Be careful not to move the probe in or out while you're doing that.  Be gentle!!!
biggrin.gif

Bear

Reactions: bigace
Gonna be cooking a butt tomorrow. I'm gonna try following most of the steps you listed. The only one I'm not gonna mess with is starting at so low a temp. I'll probably start around 240. Since this is a cook for Saturday I'll be able to mess around and see exactly how long it will take for me to cook. Never thought about saving the juices and fat. Can't wait to see what those will taste like.
Nothing wrong with 240° on a Butt, or 250° or 260°.

I only do it lower to give it more time to suck up some of my light Hickory Smoke.

Don't forget the View!!

Bear

LOOKING FORWARD TO TRYING OUT THIS METHOD ON JULY 4TH.!

I have a 9 3/4 pound Pork Shoulder and will season it up tomorrow.

STEP BY STEP.

I I will post pics. lol

Alll the best to all you Carnivores and Smoke Huffers!

Have a great, tasty and safe Independence Day!
Wow!!   That's a Big Butt you got !!

Don't let me miss your Post !!

And Have a Great 4TH !!!

Bear

So things have been going good and without any huge hiccups other then misplacing my thermometers. That is until just a few minutes ago. What I normally do during the last 20 degrees of cooking is SPRAY a vinegar, lemon, and cayenne mix every so often. I was planning on saving the dripping like you do Bear. But just a few minutes ago I went and did an idiot thing. Instead of squeezing the bottle I went and unscrewed the top and accidentally dumped some of it over my meat. While it won't ruin the meat. There's a good chance it will ruin the drippings which sucks because I've never tried saving any of it to try as a dip.

So things have been going good and without any huge hiccups other then misplacing my thermometers. That is until just a few minutes ago. What I normally do during the last 20 degrees of cooking is SPRAY a vinegar, lemon, and cayenne mix every so often. I was planning on saving the dripping like you do Bear. But just a few minutes ago I went and did an idiot thing. Instead of squeezing the bottle I went and unscrewed the top and accidentally dumped some of it over my meat. While it won't ruin the meat. There's a good chance it will ruin the drippings which sucks because I've never tried saving any of it to try as a dip.
Oh No!!!

Did that much spill out??

If it was't way too much, I'd try saving it & separating it anyway. If it's too strong, it'll still be good practice for next time.

It's not usually used as a dip, but rather added back to the meat (Minus the fat) when you heat it up. Maybe you could just add a little, if it's a little strong.

Bear

I tried a little bit and surprisingly the dripping were not that bad. A little salty for some reason. But it was not spicy like I feared. I'll see how it tastes when I remove the remaining fat. I'll post the pictures I took tomorrow. As for cooking time meat went in around 9, after searching everywhere for the thermometer, and finished around 5:30-6. Meat made it out of the danger zone before the 3 hour mark so things were fine.

Last edited:
I tried a little bit and surprisingly the dripping were not that bad. A little salty for some reason. But it was not spicy like I feared. I'll see how it tastes when I remove the remaining fat. I'll post the pictures I took tomorrow. As for cooking time meat went in around 9, after searching everywhere for the thermometer, and finished around 5:30-6. Meat made it out of the danger zone before the 3 hour mark so things were fine.
Sounds Great !!

As for that Au Jus, do like I do---Just heat enough meat in a bowl in the Nukulater for one or 2 Sammies at a time, and add just a little juice at a time & taste test it.

I do it that way all the time, even without any problems.

Bear

Nice Job Bigace!
drool.gif

Good looking Butt-----------------
points.gif

Glad you had Great Success!!
icon14.gif

Bear

Reactions: bigace
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky