Boston Butt is taking forever? Help

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

pjk

Original poster
Aug 27, 2022
I am new to pellet smokers and am attempting a pulled pork. I have a 6lb Boston butt (no bone) that I did unwrapped overnight at 200-210. (hard to get the temp exactly right when using a smoking tube) I put it in at 8:30pm last night and it is now 10:00am and I am stuck at 170. I thought the stall happened at 150-160? Is it normal for a Boston Butt to take this long? Already 13.5 hours and stuck at 170 degrees? I really don't want to wrap because I don't want the bark to become soggy. But with this length of time, I am afraid I am drying out the meat? I did put a pan of water in the traeger as I saw many had suggested that.

Any thoughts or words of encouragement would be greatly appreciated.

Definitely agree with TNJAKE TNJAKE , raise the smoking temp. Butts are about the most forgiving piece of meat you can smoke. Do them on my pellet smoker all the time. They're normally in the 8-9lb range. Like tbern tbern I smoke on low (190º) for the first hour or so then bump to 250º until it hits somewhere around 160º+ (takes about 5.5-6 hours). Wrap then crank the heat up to 300º. They take anywhere from 2-4 more hours max. Each butt can be different but they usually hit the 200º+ between 2-3 hours. After that it's resting time in the cooler for 2 hours minimum. Using this method, for planning I set aside 11 hours plus one extra to ensure everything will be ready when the dinner bell rings.

Quick physics lesson. Heat energy absorbtion is dictated by the temperature difference. 40°F meat ‐ 200°F smoker = fast absorption. 170°F meat - 200°F smoker = SLOOOOOOOW absorbtion. There are many other physics and chemistry factors involved, but all you need to remember is to keep that temp difference at 100°F or more during or after the stall.

Crank it up!

Ray

Oh, and don't worry about drying out a butt. It isn't a steak. Butts and briskets get their juiciness from melted collagen. Search "collagen" here on SMF to learn the difference between lazy muscles and hard-working, collagen-filled muscles

Thanks to everyone for the advice. It came out great, but the stall was 6-7 hours. Total time in the traeger to get to 205 was 19 hours? Is that crazy?

But it was melt in your mouth with great bark. I am glad I didn't wrap it. My family loved the bark.

Attachments

• IMG_3933.jpg
    IMG_3933.jpg
    80.8 KB · Views: 29
I had the same issue on my BGE a few months ago and posted the same plea on here. Followed the advice, cranked it up and got ‘er done.
Advice on here saved my meal & I’m still grateful.

Quick physics lesson. Heat energy absorbtion is dictated by the temperature difference. 40°F meat ‐ 200°F smoker = fast absorption. 170°F meat - 200°F smoker = SLOOOOOOOW absorbtion. There are many other physics and chemistry factors involved, but all you need to remember is to keep that temp difference at 100°F or more during or after the stall.

Crank it up!

Ray
Does this advice go for brisket as well..?

Thanks to everyone for the advice. It came out great, but the stall was 6-7 hours. Total time in the traeger to get to 205 was 19 hours? Is that crazy?

But it was melt in your mouth with great bark. I am glad I didn't wrap it. My family loved the bark.
That looks awesome!! Nice job and congrats!!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky