Boston Butt (1st Attempt!!!)

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

GrumpyGriller

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Jan 29, 2021
OK - the proverbial newbie question :)

I got a Traeger Timberline 1300 for Christmas and have done a large brisket and a bunch of smaller items as well, but now it's pulled pork time :emoji_alien:

One thing I've learned already is cooking to temp, rather than based on time, however....I have a 19 lb. Boston Butt that I want to be able to pull and serve on the upcoming Superbowl Sunday, probably figuring late afternoon chow time.

I am guessing that the overall process will end up taking 20-24 hours based on about an hour per pound, cooking at 225 and wrapping at stall time. And the real question is what time do I start it on Saturday so that I don't have to wake up at 3 AM to wrap/add moisture mix, and then put back on the grill?

Thanks for any thoughts/advice you may have!!!

I have a 10# butt that I'm going to take advantage of the cold weather we have going on here. I'm putting it all prepared in the smoker tonight ready to go. Going to wake up at 3am and turn on my Trailblazer with my app and go back to sleep.12-13 hours later, it should be rest time. Kind of feels like cheating☺☺

Reactions: olaf
TNJAKE TNJAKE more than likely nailed it, unless you have a whole front shoulder.
I run butts on my Yoder pellet machine @ 250* then wrap at the stall.
I think you may be right....what a moron I am 😁. I think I felt bone in two places.

Attachments

• 58C12095-94C1-422B-8B53-BB257A96325F.jpeg
    58C12095-94C1-422B-8B53-BB257A96325F.jpeg
    158.2 KB · Views: 27
  • 07F82013-4CF8-4386-B9A4-9BA321E7448C.jpeg
    07F82013-4CF8-4386-B9A4-9BA321E7448C.jpeg
    109.3 KB · Views: 28
  • 206A73D3-49BE-4676-A246-85DD76FBA9D2.jpeg
    206A73D3-49BE-4676-A246-85DD76FBA9D2.jpeg
    126.8 KB · Views: 28
Not a moron at all. It's a common thing for people to think they have a giant pork butt. Your pic definitely confirms it is 2. Plan on a shorter smoke time than you originally thought

Hi there and welcome!
I can't really help u at 225F smoker temp BUT I don't feel like 19 pound of pork butt are going to be done in 24hrs at 225F even when wrapped.

I smoke pork butts and briskets at 275F steady smoker temp and never opening the smoker until time to check for tenderness but unwrapped the whole time and it goes a little over an hour a pound.

Plan to finish 4-5 hours before you want to serve and eat and if it finishes early then tightly double wrap in foil and then tightly wrap in 3 bath towels and lay it on the counter till time to eat. It will be piping hot 4-5 hours later I guarantee it.
If you dont finish 4-5 hours early... u get 4-5 hours of extra time before hungry people attack you :)

You go to finish IT, of course, but I'd plan on somewhere between 8 and 14 hours for those two. Every piece is different and cooks at it's own pace. Having a pellet grill, I can see why you'd want to cook at a lower temperature to give it more time in the smoke.

Reactions: jcam222
Ok crazy thought... Do one butt this weekend as practice since if there even is a pro bowl game no one cares any ways and they will eat a bunch or pork. Will give you a great idea on the cook time!

Reactions: rdknb and tallbm
I would start it the night before at 225*. Put it on around 11 and let it run through the night. Should have plenary of time for it to cook and now worry about a stall. Pull it when it hits 200-203 ish and let it rest wrapped in foil and towells in a cooler for a few hours until you are ready for pregame food! Also I tell everyone to check out chef jimmyj chef jimmyj finishing sauce!!!good luck and enjoy the new smoker

No Moron at all. Learning like we all have. Shoot for a early finish time and do as others have suggested. Foiled, toweled, and in a cooler. I had a butt rest like that 4 hrs and it was still almost too hot to pull.
Jim

No Moron at all. Learning like we all have. Shoot for a early finish time and do as others have suggested. Foiled, toweled, and in a cooler. I had a butt rest like that 4 hrs and it was still almost too hot to pull.
Jim
I wear a pair of cotton gloves with nitrile gloves over them when I pull. Helps alot

Reactions: JLeonard
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky