Bony lump on Baby Back Ribs

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

manchester bob

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Dec 31, 2012
Manchester, Maryland.
Hello, all! Been a long time since I posted. I bought a pack of baby back ribs. I went to clean them up just now, and there's a bony lump on the membrane side of the ribs. It's somewhat disc-shaped, maybe about a quarter to half an inch thick in the middle, and it's not coming off. Has anyone seen something like this before? Is it safe to eat?

Reactions: JLeonard
I thought about pictures right after posting, so I took a couple before putting the rub on. I'm just now about to start my pellet maze and get them cooking. I'll post the pictures right after. I figure that worst-case, I chuck a rib or two near the area. Be back in a few!

Bearcarver Bearcarver That may not be too far from the truth. Tight quarters in Farrowing Pens and 6+ Brothers and Sisters knocking each other around competing for food. And rough handling by Farmers, could damage or break a Rib early on. The lump may be the spot a damaged rib healed...JJ

Reactions: JLeonard
Both pictures look about the same. This was actually about in the middle of the length of ribs. I cut them in half so they fit better in my MES 30". Pretty gross looking! But as long as the meat is still ok.....

Attachments

• RibLump.jpg
    RibLump.jpg
    107.4 KB · Views: 79
Is the Lump Hard or Soft? Hard, a healed bone. Soft, possibly a growth that you wont want to eat that rib. Other ribs likely fine...JJ

It's as hard as the rest of the bones. It has a little flesh growing over it. I tried to get a paring knife under it: couldn't do it, so that's what makes me think that it's bone growth on top of bone. Thanks, JJ!

Reactions: chef jimmyj
MANY years ago I did some work for my farmer landlord to help pay the rent.
One of the things he had me do was to muck out the pigpen/shed.
When the pigs started nosing at my legs I tried being nice at first but ended up whanging them with the shovel!
I may have caused a nodule or two.....

MANY years ago I did some work for my farmer landlord to help pay the rent.
One of the things he had me do was to muck out the pigpen/shed.
When the pigs started nosing at my legs I tried being nice at first but ended up whanging them with the shovel!
I may have caused a nodule or two.....
I worked with guy from Missouri who had the expression "I ain't seen nuthin' that funny since the hogs tried to eat my little Brother".

We used to see these back when we used to butcher hogs. Healing nodule from an old fracture.

We used to see these back when we used to butcher hogs. Healing nodule from an old fracture.

A popular expression up here in Pennsylvania Dutch Wonderland goes like this:
Hey where's your Buddy at?
He went out back to take a leak, and the Hogs ate him.

They tell me it's even funnier in PA Dutch.

Bear

I boiled the meat off the bone and took pictures. You can see how it has connected the two bones together: must have had a long time to heal!
It seems a bit like cartilage especially near one of the bones. They started to snap apart when I tried. I guess it's a pork-rib version of a wishbone! Anyway, the ribs turned out great. Thank you all for your replies!

Attachments

• RibLump3.jpg
    RibLump3.jpg
    103.9 KB · Views: 48
  • RibLump4.jpg
    RibLump4.jpg
    110.6 KB · Views: 46
I boiled the meat off the bone and took pictures. You can see how it has connected the two bones together: must have had a long time to heal!
It seems a bit like cartilage especially near one of the bones. They started to snap apart when I tried. I guess it's a pork-rib version of a wishbone! Anyway, the ribs turned out great. Thank you all for your replies!
Thanks for the follow up photo's. The subject is bound to come up again. Hogs are butchered between 6 and 12 months old so it's an impressive healing.

That is freak'in NASTY!!!!! I ain't eating anything that looks even close to that.
I'd be running back to the store for a replacement quicker than spit.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky