• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

boneless rump roast and or sirloin tip roast for ground beef?

sandyut

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Joined Feb 18, 2015
hi all,

these two roasts are on sale BOGO at Kroger. would these be good for grinding for burger? I have always used chucks and briskets.

thanks!

HalfSmoked

Epic Pitmaster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Group Lead
Joined Jun 11, 2015
I don't see where either one wouldn't be fine ground.

Warren

rc4u

Meat Mopper
SMF Premier Member
Joined Jun 4, 2015
both are good. sirlion has very good flavor. and when ya buy 90/10 its usually sirlion.

chopsaw

Legendary Pitmaster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Joined Dec 14, 2013
I've used some pretty lean beef cuts . Works good for something that gets a sauce like sloppy Joe's.

tx smoker

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Joined Apr 14, 2013
May be a little lean for a nice juicy burger but other than that either should make some really good ground beef.

Robert

thirdeye

Master of the Pit
SMF Premier Member
Joined Dec 1, 2019
Your grind would be on the lean side (which is not a bad thing).... unless you bought a small chuck roast for the mix. One other option is to add 20% pork butt.

SmokinEdge

Smoking Fanatic
SMF Premier Member
Joined Jan 18, 2020
Depending on your plans for the ground meat, but mixing 20% bacon into the grind makes excellent burgers. You can pick up those bulk packs of bacon ends and pieces for this. They are a little cheaper than sliced bacon. Both round and sirloin are lean but work great this way.

Fueling Around

Master of the Pit
SMF Premier Member
Joined Dec 10, 2018
Round and "sirloin tip" are both from the rump and flavorful meat. Blend in the fat trim from your brisket (I prefer an 80/20) and you have butcher quality ground beef.

sandyut

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Joined Feb 18, 2015
great news! thanks for all the replies and support. Hopefully I can get a grind done on Saturday. Im out of ground beef, but my last few weeks of work are kinda killing me. My wife was done 1.4.2021, im not done till 3.1.2021. 6 weeks...hopefully it flys by, but so far its like a slow root canal.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected

We noticed that you're using an ad-blocker, which could block some critical website features. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.