Boneless pork butt for ham

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

nate85

Smoke Blower
Original poster
SMF Premier Member
Dec 19, 2010
I came across some boneless pork butts for a good deal. I was going to brine cure some with pops brine for ham. Will they make nice ham?

I came across some boneless pork butts for a good deal. I was going to brine cure some with pops brine for ham. Will they make nice ham?
I like the way they come out.  It won't be exactly like the ham you're used to, but the flavor is very good.  

I would suggest injecting the cure into the butt in several locations before submerging it into the brine/cure.  I'd also go for 3+ weeks to make certain you get a good cure.

Let us know how it goes!

Yes. Those boneless butts are what I use for making Buckboard Bacon with Pops brine. I'm sure they would be good left together as a ham of sorts. The way they are fillet open to remove the bone, you are left with kind of a butterflied and fragmented piece of meat rather than much of a solid muscle-no more than a few inches at any thickest part. There was a post a day or two ago that a member glued it back together with "meat glue" aka- Transglutaminase.

Thanks guys I'll give it a go. First I've heard of meat glue. Going to have to google that haha

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky