Bone-In Pork Sirloin Roast IT?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Preacher Man

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Sep 28, 2018
Where The River Runs Through It
Picked up a 4.23 lbs bone-in pork sirloin roast this morning for 99 pennies per pound.

Got it rubbed with EVOO and sprinkled with a light layer of SPOG with some thyme, rosemary, and oregano leaves added.

Planning to smoke from 220°-240° with applewood.

I'm wanting to slice it. What IT do y'all suggest I take it to?

Out of curiosity, is a sirloin roast pullable?

IMG_20181105_101325.jpg

That's going to be really good! I love your spice profile choice. I think your internal IT is going to depend on your personal preference, but can go anywhere from 145 to 200'. Sirloin can be somewhere in the middle as far as intramuscular fat content depending on what part that piece came from. For pork roast like that in general I like to take to a higher temp in the 190-195 range. My personal favorite way is when done entirely in a Dutch oven. In a smoker, I would do it like you would a butt and pan and foil it after about stall temp (~145') and finish in the same temp range. And yes you can take it to pulling temp in that 200-205 range. But definitely keep moisture in by foiling. You can add some sort of liquid if you want, but I find its not necessary as it renders out a lot.

Like you spice medley. Pork can dry out easy the now allowed temp for pork is 145 Degrees how ever I do like to go some past this. Enjoy let us see the finish.

Warren

No spritzing. You won't get bark during this short cook. You can smoke at a higher temp, 300+, for more bark but there will be less smoke on the meat...JJ

Pork shoulders I take to 200-205F. Pork sirloins I take to 140F. I often use pork sirloins to make Canadian-like bacon. Got four curing as I type. They are pretty lean. Both shoulder and sirloin are mentioned above, so I'm a little unclear what's in the smoker.

Reactions: fivetricks
Both shoulder and sirloin are mentioned above, so I'm a little unclear what's in the smoker.
It's a sirloin. Sorry for the confusion in the title. I'll see if I can edit that (update: title fixed).

I took it to 145° and it turned out marvelous. When I removed it I put it in a dish and sliced a whole stick of butter up and put it on top before foiling and resting it. Then, after slicing it up for supper I dredged the slices in the butter-roast juice and served.

Here's some Qview:

IMG_20181105_173609.jpg IMG_20181105_175659.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20181105_173609.jpg
    IMG_20181105_173609.jpg
    182.1 KB · Views: 21
Last edited:
Nice job, looks delicious to me.

Point for sure.
Chris

That looks fantabulous! I just know that had to be goooooood!

I have to shamelessly admit you inspired me with this post when I decided how I wanted to cook some pork steaks I had thawed out for dinner last night. Same herb/spice profile as your roast but done "shake-n-bake" style for these steaks.
steaks.jpg

Reactions: Preacher Man
Looks Great, PM !
Nice & Juicy!!
Looks more than 145° though.
Making me Hungry!!!
Like.

Bear

Looks more than 145° though.

Could be because I was trying to get a surface pic to catch the contrast between the dark and light of the bark and meat. I actually think I didn't put the probe in a good spot and the IT actually wasn't all the way to 145°.

Here's a pic of how it looks in the dish this morning all sliced up. The dark pink was the stuff next to the bone. Does the bone keep the meat around it from heating like the rest of it, or is that just some other effect I haven't learned about yet?

20181105 (1).jpg

Oh yeah! LOVE the "spicings" with rosemary and Thyme and Oregano! That is a go-to for seasoning almost anything. So versatile! My kids used to complain about the awful "pine needles" on it (rosemary). Now that they are out of the house, I don't have to grind them to hide them anymore. There are a couple more herbs that I have been toying with that are similar: Marjoram (which is a type of oregano) and Savory.

Could be because I was trying to get a surface pic to catch the contrast between the dark and light of the bark and meat. I actually think I didn't put the probe in a good spot and the IT actually wasn't all the way to 145°.

Here's a pic of how it looks in the dish this morning all sliced up. The dark pink was the stuff next to the bone. Does the bone keep the meat around it from heating like the rest of it, or is that just some other effect I haven't learned about yet?

That Bowl looks Great !!
That's just the way Pork Loin is. You can see the transformation in some of the slices of Canadian Bacon too----Almost like White & Dark Meat in Chicken.

Bear

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky