Bone-In Pork Roast - The Savory Way!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

civilsmoker

Smoking Guru
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Jan 27, 2015
Idaho
I was strolling along in the meat section a couple of days ago and I spied a bone in pork roast for 1.98/lb so it found a new home in the basket......this morning I trimmed it up and removed the backbone between the ribs so it would make a clean slice between each of the 4 ribs.
22925417-F9D2-4F25-B8D7-C245E3FB0883.jpeg

I have been doing a lot is sweet pork recently so I wanted a classic savory flavor. So I salted it down then a fare amount of cracked pepper and then coated it with Dijon.
52EECDB2-323A-4DB9-814A-770FF2391F63.jpeg

it was the first sunny day here in a long time so I broke out the copper pot for the job. Getting the coals ready over the side burner
E6D5908D-0166-4C98-8483-B1141BC5FCC7.jpeg

Preheated and on it goes.....the cook target temp is for 260 ish with cherry & pecan. I wanted a nice crust on it so the last 30 min (once it hit IT 130) I put a couple of 1 inch cherry splits on the fire to bump the temp up to 375 ish for 15 - 20 mins before they flamed out and it dropped back to 290 till the IT hit 144....
0ABAD204-3EE2-4618-B23A-20B24D840F5D.jpeg

It was a bit windy so I didn’t do even one peeky so I was was really nervous on opening the lid to get the first glimpse at it......oh....relief and big smiles!!!!
0FBAB822-3D6B-45D9-B864-DC3F8E0AD60F.jpeg

all rested and ready for the slice!
69654E1D-5F4F-438E-B773-9B357EFA1B76.jpeg

The Slice!!!
3C020BC6-1A1D-4C34-8A2D-844E626AACB6.jpeg

The bone-in pork roast plate....a savory classic meal! The plate is completed with pan seared sliced Yukon gold bake potato’s, roasted garlic zucchini strings and the pork is dressed with a classic “Sauce Robert”
CD0BC166-B5B8-4A12-9134-DA2BC56B003F.jpeg

Classic Savory Pork Money!!!
39BACD4E-51C3-4036-B625-BC48CEDD8CCC.jpeg

Sauce Robert......minced shallot, in olive oil, then Demi about 20 ounce (you can substitute a double strength better than Bouillon made with beef stock) then 4oz dry white wine, tsp lemon juice, 1tbs Dijon, 1tsp cracked pepper, reduce and thicken as needed with a starch slurry, salt to taste after reduced.......this sauce is very classy and Savory, it goes perfect with roast pork!!!!

Excellent looking feedbag Civil.

Point for sure
Chris

WOW! That looks absolutely incredible! Your sauce sounds really good, but your roast looks so tender it doesn't look like it really needs it. Great looking plate all the way around!

Erik

Outstanding looking plate of pork! Will have to try that sauce, it sounds delicious. Big Points for sure!!!

Thanks. It is a pretty yummy sauce for sure.

I use the base of shallots and demi for many many sauces. IE change out the mustard, white wine and lemon juice for bourbon and Worcestershire and then add that directly to a pan of freshly seared shrooms. Or add about 1/2c of Marsala and then with or without shrooms. Or split the demi with an equal part of beef demi and a similar chicken demi and add a nice red wine (about 1/4 to 1/2 cup) then a pinch of sugar.

On the Chicken side, just do the same with a chicken demi, then add either white wine (a fruity one) or a little beer. Then make a flour/butter roux to thicken instead of the starch. You can cook the roux to almost a paper bag color if you want a really nice nutty flavor. The final flavor add is to pour the resting juices in the gravy just before serving......

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: fullborebbq
Great looking pork CS! I need to stop coming on here with an empty stomach.
Thanks xray.....Yea you don't want to read forum post on an empty stomach or you will cause great PAIN....LOL. Or it will cause an excessive purchase at the store shortly after!
Excellent looking feedbag Civil.

Point for sure
Chris
Thanks Chris. It was a fun smoke and plate for a Sunday afternoon!
WOW! That looks absolutely incredible! Your sauce sounds really good, but your roast looks so tender it doesn't look like it really needs it. Great looking plate all the way around!

Erik
Erik, yes the roast was juicy and tender. and didn't really need the sauce. But the sauce really enhanced the savory pork in a way like they were just made for each other. The Dijon flavor with the beef just has a nice "bite" to it that tames the rich pork.

Awesome cook there and a find looking plate anybody would set down to that plate if they don't I will.

Warren

Thanks Warren! You are welcome any time, love sharing good food with those that appreciate it!

We pay for it in the summer though....and we just had a cold front move through.

Low 50's for a couple of days, and everyone freaked out.:emoji_astonished:

John

A low of 50.....oh man that is a winter! But you have those misters for the summer heat........And not to mention the fire places running in the summer on the hotel patios for when it drops to 80 deg.....LOL

Reactions: Smokin' in AZ
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky