• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

bone in or boneless shoulder?

Carvendive

Meat Mopper
Joined Sep 15, 2018
Costco has boneless at $2.19 my butcher has bone in at $1.83. $0.36 is pretty much irrelevant.
1. Which is going to TASTE BETTER?
2. Which is going to smoke better / easier?
PS taste is going to Trump all other issues.

Jonok

Smoking Fanatic
Joined Feb 4, 2019
Both are usury.

You should be able to find fresh butts for $1.80 or less, and by the case for less than $1.20..,

noboundaries

Smoking Guru
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Joined Sep 7, 2013
Bone-in. The meat is intact and cooks evenly. Easier to handle, too.

There's absolutely nothing wrong with boneless, and you can tie it up or scootch it together. I only buy boneless these days when I'm curing Buckboard bacon.

hardcookin

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
Joined Aug 13, 2015
Bone-in is my preference. And is what seems to be mostly available in my area.

S-met

Smoking Fanatic
Joined Jul 1, 2019
1. Which is going to TASTE BETTER?
2. Which is going to smoke better / easier?
1. Technically bone-in or boneless, its the same meat. I feel that bone-in meat cooks better. I feel like there is more bone, bone marrow, tendons and connective tissue that renders during a long cook that adds a depth and dimension that boneless cuts lack. I also feel that the Bone heats at a different rate than the meat helping to create a more even cooking.
Having said this, I do not think that if served head-to-head that I could tell the difference.

2. Define "easier." Boneless means ready to serve faster and a much better idea of your final end-product weight. Also easy to season inside and out.

SmokinVOLfan

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
Joined Feb 27, 2018
Bone in for sure. I’ve only cooked boneless once...turned out good but the boneless cooks better IMO and you end up with better meat/results in the long run. Not sure where you are located but got a couple local grocery stores around here selling for $.99 lb right now. Just got spare ribs for $1.79 lb yesterday

mooncusser

Meat Mopper
Joined May 25, 2019
I prefer bone-in. A little easier and I like the end result. Boneless are fine too but I feel like tying them is a good idea for more even cooking. Not a big deal just an extra step.

JC in GB

Master of the Pit
SMF Premier Member
Joined Sep 28, 2018
I have done both and there is not much difference in flavor if any. I prefer bone in like most posters here but both make great pulled pork. :emoji_cat:

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected

We noticed that you're using an ad-blocker, which could block some critical website features. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.