Bologna hanging or laying??

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Leonard114

Fire Starter
Original poster
Nov 4, 2017
Harpers ferry wv
Gonna finish off my venison Hamburg this week and make another batch of bologna. How many people hang there’s In there smoker compared to laying it on the racks. I usually lay mine but was thinking about hanging it if it makes a difference. Any input is appreciated! Using a camp chef smoke vault 24 propane smoker.

I hang mine with the belief that you get the smoke around the entire sausage. With laying it down the bottom isn't touched. It's probably a non-issue, but that's how I do it. I think really it boils down to what you want to do with it and depending on how much smoke taste you like.

I’ve been wanting more smoke flavor in it does it still coon evenly tho or do you flip it or anything? My burner is in the bottom so I’d be worried about over cooking the end close to the burner

I lay mine down because I can keep them from touching each other that way.
And they get smoke all the way around, because my racks are like wire---Not solid.

Bear

I’ve been wanting more smoke flavor in it does it still coon evenly tho or do you flip it or anything? My burner is in the bottom so I’d be worried about over cooking the end close to the burner

Good Question:
If you use a smoker like an MES, the only way you would have to flip them is if you're using one of the lower racks, because you're so close to the heating element, and it's hotter down there.
Other smokers put out a lot more direct heat than an MES, especially if you use the top 3 racks of an MES.

Bear

Reactions: normanaj
I too lay mine on the racks in my MES.I do have a dowel setup that I made if I do want to hang but laying them on the rack works just fine.

Will be doing a bunch of chourico Friday as some will end up in the beans to go along with the ribs for the 4th.Not quite the same as log of bologna but the same idea.

Reactions: Bearcarver
If you use a smoker like an MES, the only way you would have to flip them is if you're using one of the lower racks, because you're so close to the heating element, and it's hotter down there.

This is so very true with the MES when it comes to sausage type food.

Exactly...If your Chubs are long, hanging may bring then too close to the heat source. Sausages laid on wire grates get even smoke. If you are worried, flip them and/or swap rack positions...JJ

I did a large batch hanging but was able to keep them all up high in MES 40.
Not sure on your height of vault. No harm laying them down, as mentioned may need to swap racks. Was hard to keep them from touching. Had to lay 2 down on rack.
20200204_131822.jpg

I've tried both hanging and laying flat and now just lay flat on the racks for the same reasons as mentioned above. I usually smoke for about 8hrs and then finish to 145 via sous vide and hold that temp for 30 mins in the kitchen sink (a water bath on the stove works as well but is more hands on) then bloom as usual. For sausage that I want more smoke on I smoke again the next day useing a pellet tray and no additional heat in the smoker for around 6hrs (although you can smoke as long as you like to suit your taste) and then let it sit in the spare fridge for a couple days before I package it up. Its surprising how much more it takes on from the second smoke.

20191222_180630.jpg
20191223_193326.jpg

I hang mine, they seem to get better color all over. I used to put them on a rack but I didnt like the flat spot. I have a propane burner under them with a diffuser plate. The bottom is the same temp as the top as far as meat temp.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky