Bologna casing.

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

pc farmer

Epic Pitmaster
Original poster
Staff member
Administrator
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Feb 17, 2013
Central Pa
I decided I needed to make some jumbo bologna. Ordered some from butcher packer along with a hank of hog casings.

I was surprised how big these are.

I am 6'2 and 280. I have big hands and long arms.

This might be fun.

Yep...They are big! use your widest horn and get help cranking the stuffer so you can hold back the casing tightly until very full. Can't say I ever heard of one of those casing breaking and the Butcher shop I helped at had this 200Lb batch Pneumatic Stuffers. It pumped so hard I needed two hands to keep the casing from flying off...JJ

That's the same casing I used.

It will easily hold a 5 lb batch.

Judy cranked the stuffer & I held on with both hands.

You can really stuff them tight.

Al

That's the ones I use  Makes really nice Bologna

Gary

This Looks Great,

I am on board , cant wait to see the end result
pepsi.gif
110.gif

Tom

I decided I needed to make some jumbo bologna. Ordered some from butcher packer along with a hank of hog casings.

I was surprised how big these are.

I am 6'2 and 280. I have big hands and long arms.

This might be fun.
Oh... it WILL be fun... and tasty. Enjoy!

Yep...They are big! use your widest horn and get help cranking the stuffer so you can hold back the casing tightly until very full. Can't say I ever heard of one of those casing breaking and the Butcher shop I helped at had this 200Lb batch Pneumatic Stuffers. It pumped so hard I needed two hands to keep the casing from flying off...JJ
He's definitely got the right advice. It'll take a couple of people, 'cause the casings are, as you know, stupid-huge. It's amazing how fast a 5-lb stuffer empties out. My wife and I were laughing, since it's almost ridiculous. Casings are really tough and I can't see rupturing one while stuffing, but tear easily when you go to get them off before or after slicing.

That's the same casing I used.

It will easily hold a 5 lb batch.

Judy cranked the stuffer & I held on with both hands.

You can really stuff them tight.

Al
Same ones I used as well... think they're supposed to be big enough for 10 lbs. I couldn't fit that in my smoker - too long. I wound up with two of them at about 6 lbs each. Here's a pic of my pair-o'-chubs all stuffed up. That's a quarter on top of the casing, just for reference. Makes some good bologna, though. Right size for a good sammich.

Looking forward to seeing how your batch turns out!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky