Boiled Peanuts

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Sven Svensson

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
Dec 5, 2021
Sonoma County, California
So, this really happened. At our local BBQ place I noticed they had boiled peanuts as an appetizer. I had never heard of boiled peanuts but I was really curious. I asked the young waitress how they tasted. It was an honest question. She looked at me with a very puzzled and condescending look on her face and said, “They taste like hot wet peanuts.” And then she walked away. Hahahahaha!

I guess I should have known that.

So, this really happened. At our local BBQ place I noticed they had boiled peanuts as an appetizer. I had never heard of boiled peanuts but I was really curious. I asked the young waitress how they tasted. It was an honest question. She looked at me with a very puzzled and condescending look on her face and said, “They taste like hot wet peanuts.” And then she walked away. Hahahahaha!

I guess I should have known that.
Did you taste them? Terrible would be my first thought. Not sure I would have.

Southern delicacy

For good boiled peanuts you need go down to FL or GA. Rednecks sell them on the side of the road. It's good stuff. Especially when they're spicy.

If you want to make them at home you need raw peanuts. I highly recommend using an insta pot.

I love them. Haven't made any in a while, but raw peanuts aren't hard to come by in these parts. I stop in Wakefield every time I'm on 460 to get their local peanuts. I dated a Florida girl years back and she loved making them so I would can them. I had a big aluminum pot we would boil them in. Good times.

Reactions: 912smoker
I got hooked on them when we vacationed in Savannah. When we moved to Savannah i ate them couple times weekly. Buy them green at the flea mkt in 20 lb bags. Vac seal and freeze em and when you want boil pnuts you got em ready. Yup i like the cajun. They are in some of the stations here in KY.

All over the place here in South Carolina, they make a great lunch when it’s furunder cheese hot out and a big meal will make want to toss cookies.

In Minnesota, Lutefisk is also an acquired taste I never learned. I doubt even hickory and a Meat Church rub could make me eat it.

In our household we substituted pickled herring for lutefisk at Christmas. Nobody like lutefisk.

Chris

• Haha
Reactions: Sven Svensson
They are just planting or have just planted peanuts in N. FL, SW GA, and SE AL I had to make a couple hour drive today for some parts and there were lots of fields the peanuts were up 4-6" and lots more fields being disced or being planted. Saw a fair amount of corn in different stages as well. Tomatoes in N. FL and SW GA are going nuts probably about halfway through the season they'll burn up by July.
Dothan, AL has a huge peanut festival every year check it out.

I love em also. I use raw peanuts in the instant pot, they come out pretty good. Then I portion and freeze for when I want them.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky