• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

Boiled Peanuts

chef jimmyj

Epic Pitmaster
Staff member
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Group Lead
Joined May 12, 2011
They look interesting. Raw Peanuts is not an item I've ever seen in NJ or PA. I'll have to look online. You can get Lion Meat, Raw Peanuts should be easy...JJ

jcam222

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Joined Jun 13, 2017
They look good. I love boiled peanuts. Anytime I’ve been in GA or AL I’ve gobbled them up from roadside stands.

Sowsage

Master of the Pit
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Joined Oct 18, 2017
Man its been a long time since ive had boiled peanuts! Yum!

tag0401

Smoking Fanatic
SMF Premier Member
Group Lead
Joined Apr 5, 2018
Love boiled peanuts!! I can eat a ton of them which is why I don’t make them a lot.

noboundaries

Legendary Pitmaster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Joined Sep 7, 2013
I have never had boiled peanuts, even when I lived in the South. Time for some research. Yours look great Zippy!

forktender

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Joined Jun 10, 2008
Nicely done Zip, what book did you get the recipe from
Recipe???

Here is a "recipe".
Soak nuts in super salty water overnight than the next day do not rinse.

1- Add Salt.
2- Add Water.
3- Add some Old Bay or Shrimp Boil to taste if you like them spiced.

Boil water, add salt and spices to taste, add nuts stir boil 1 hour up to 24 hours or until they are done the way you like them.:emoji_thumbsup:

bill1

Smoking Fanatic
Joined Apr 25, 2015
Dumb question from California boy...who's never heard of these things...can I just boil shelled peanuts from Costco in the salt water and get the same thing? Shelling peanuts is hard enough...when they're soggy I can only imagine the next order of magnitude.

Hungariantom

Joined Dec 24, 2017
Love me some boiled peanuts! My wife's uncle here in South Carolina grows peanuts and at the right time we'll go pull up about a 20 foot row, pick them off the plants, clean em, then boil. We freeze them in quart bags and then just reheat (maybe add a little more salt) and eat. We get enough that we are eating them through the winter.

forktender

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Joined Jun 10, 2008
Dumb question from California boy...who's never heard of these things...can I just boil shelled peanuts from Costco in the salt water and get the same thing? Shelling peanuts is hard enough...when they're soggy I can only imagine the next order of magnitude.
No fresh green nuts, they grow a lot of them in the Norcal Sac. valley all the way up to Alturas also Mexican and Asian stores carry them like Ranch99 when they are in season. After they are boiled the shell comes off with a light squeeze, its super, super easy.

HalfSmoked

Legendary Pitmaster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Group Lead
Joined Jun 11, 2015
Looks great zippy but I'm not a fan of boiled peanuts.

Warren

JLeonard

Master of the Pit
Joined Apr 17, 2020
They look good. I love boiled peanuts. Anytime I’ve been in GA or AL I’ve gobbled them up from roadside stands.
Shoot yeah. Heck even the convenience stores down here will have them.
Jim

noboundaries

Legendary Pitmaster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Joined Sep 7, 2013
When I was doing the research mentioned above I learned that you can use the salted, roasted nuts in the shell, but they take a lot longer to cook and you do not get the same taste and texture result as using green peanuts. The boiled peanut experts say green peanuts are the first preference. Raw the second. And roasted nuts in the shell if nothing else is available.

I lived in the South for 11 years, four while still at home. Saw boiled peanut sellers quite often but my parents said the nastiest things about them. Consequently, I've never tried them. Now I'm curious since I love salty snacks.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected

We noticed that you're using an ad-blocker, which could block some critical website features. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.