Boiled Peanuts

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

zippy12

Master of the Pit
Original poster
SMF Premier Member
Oct 6, 2017
Virginia Beach, VA
20201115_171253.jpg

20201115_174358.jpg

20201115_155412.jpg

20201115_172433.jpg

They look interesting. Raw Peanuts is not an item I've ever seen in NJ or PA. I'll have to look online. You can get Lion Meat, Raw Peanuts should be easy...JJ

They look good. I love boiled peanuts. Anytime I’ve been in GA or AL I’ve gobbled them up from roadside stands.

Nicely done Zip, what book did you get the recipe from
Recipe???

Here is a "recipe".
Soak nuts in super salty water overnight than the next day do not rinse.

1- Add Salt.
2- Add Water.
3- Add some Old Bay or Shrimp Boil to taste if you like them spiced.

Boil water, add salt and spices to taste, add nuts stir boil 1 hour up to 24 hours or until they are done the way you like them.:emoji_thumbsup:

Dumb question from California boy...who's never heard of these things...can I just boil shelled peanuts from Costco in the salt water and get the same thing? Shelling peanuts is hard enough...when they're soggy I can only imagine the next order of magnitude.

Love me some boiled peanuts! My wife's uncle here in South Carolina grows peanuts and at the right time we'll go pull up about a 20 foot row, pick them off the plants, clean em, then boil. We freeze them in quart bags and then just reheat (maybe add a little more salt) and eat. We get enough that we are eating them through the winter.

Reactions: forktender
Dumb question from California boy...who's never heard of these things...can I just boil shelled peanuts from Costco in the salt water and get the same thing? Shelling peanuts is hard enough...when they're soggy I can only imagine the next order of magnitude.
No fresh green nuts, they grow a lot of them in the Norcal Sac. valley all the way up to Alturas also Mexican and Asian stores carry them like Ranch99 when they are in season. After they are boiled the shell comes off with a light squeeze, its super, super easy.

When I was doing the research mentioned above I learned that you can use the salted, roasted nuts in the shell, but they take a lot longer to cook and you do not get the same taste and texture result as using green peanuts. The boiled peanut experts say green peanuts are the first preference. Raw the second. And roasted nuts in the shell if nothing else is available.

I lived in the South for 11 years, four while still at home. Saw boiled peanut sellers quite often but my parents said the nastiest things about them. Consequently, I've never tried them. Now I'm curious since I love salty snacks.

Reactions: bill1
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky