Bodacious Burnt End Chuckies

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
That looks amazing Chili, point for sure!

I'm definitely going to try the burnt ends from chuck, appreciate the inspiration! I've done 7-8 briskets but always was too excited to eat the point after all that smokin' and worried about ruining it, looks like a great way to do burnt ends.

That looks great. I'm going in on this tomorrow or Saturday. Being my 1st time I need to ask, how long should I plan on for a 4.5lb Chuck? I've prepare the rub and marinade just not sure when to start.

Sorry, I forgot, I'm thinking of using my MES30 for this but have the option of my Brinkmann trailmaster le. I am still figuring out the temp control on the offset. I made some plates to try minion method in my firebox. 1st try, not so good Royal Oak Lump and a few chunks. The lumps are so small in this bag it burned out really fast. ??

Last edited:
Well... That's a tough question, each piece of meat is different so I go by internal temp and tenderness.

With the Chuckies I'm looking at 185'-195' IT and not quite probe/butter tender.
With 3#'ers I'm averaging eight hours, an hour rest and then another 2-3 hours sauced in the pan.
I'm cooking low-n-slow at an average 225' with multiple pieces of meat in the smoker, a water pan and I'm spritzing every couple of hours.
If you've just a lone chuck, your mileage may vary wildly from mine.

So with a lone 4.5# chuck?
Approx 6-10 hrs cook, 1 hr rest and 2-3hrs finish, for a total of 9-14hrs.

Last edited:
All right then, good thing I'm on staycation. Oh but that means I don't get to sleep in. The smokers life.
Thank you ChileRelleno for the info and how to's. I'll share when I end up doing this.

If time isn't of the essence, leave it be to ride the stall out.
If it of concern, crutch it in foil and turn the heat up to 275'.
Keep an eye on it, once it comes up to temp, cube, sauce and finish at the 275'.

If time isn't of the essence, leave it be to ride the stall out.
If it of concern, crutch it in foil and turn the heat up to 275'.
Keep an eye on it, once it comes up to temp, cube, sauce and finish at the 275'.

Thanks for the quick reply I was getting anxious. I'll ride it out. Rest at 190, cube and sauce. I'll share my whole process when I get a minute. I'm new and this is fun.
Again, thank you, I love this place!

I prefer to foil the pan so as to braise them tender.
Bringing back an oldie! I have done Jeff's Chuck burnt ends pretty exact to his recipe with great results. Chile, being how much you like to experiment and this thread being a few years old, is this still your favorite? Any modifications since?

Bringing back an oldie! I have done Jeff's Chuck burnt ends pretty exact to his recipe with great results. Chile, being how much you like to experiment and this thread being a few years old, is this still your favorite? Any modifications since?
It's still a favorite for making BEs from Chuck.

But I only do it when I can find a Chuck with exceptional marbling otherwise the finished consistency varies too much.

Yes, I've adjusted the recipe.
I now cube as soon as I've a good bark and braise the rest of the way till tender.

Last edited:
Reactions: mng024
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky