BLTs with Canned Tomatoes (Experiment)

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
A mans gotta do what a mans goota do. Thinking outside the box.
Where's the pickles and onions LOL gotta have them on mine.
Next time at least try dill slices.

Gary

Way to adapt and overcome Bear! Looks real good. Excellent finding additional uses for everyday items.
Thanks for sharing.

Great lookin meals. Wasnt the canned tomatoes really watered down? I mean added water. We have never bought them because I thought that. They look good thou.

Great out of the "can" thinking. I'll save that thought for winter and I'm craving that summer BLT.
My ultimate BLT is the from the first tomato out of my garden.
My garden is about 3 weeks late this year and I won't go to farmer's market.
No farmer's market option for you?

Reactions: Brokenhandle
Looks amazing. I think Julia Child would approve.

Thank You!!
LOL---I hope she would!!

Bear

Nothing wrong with that Bear, as long as it’s good eats!

I hear ya on the off season tomatoes, they’re pretty bland and tasteless here. It kinda makes you appreciate the fresh ones in the summer.

Wegmans sells a carton of cherry tomatoes called “flavor bombs.” They’re available most of the year and are pretty awesome but they fetch a pretty penny.

Thank You Xray!!
I checked, and Giant doesn't carry the "Flavor Bombs".
Bear Jr normally shops Wegmans, but during Covid he only goes to Giant for all 4 of us.

Bear

Bearcarver Bearcarver Nice looking sammichs. Sometimes you just gotta adapt and overcome.
Jim

Thank You Jim!!
And Thanks for the Like.

Bear

Look's good Bear. You never know until you try! Like

Thank You Denny!!
Bear Jr just brought us 4 nice big Red Fresh Maters from a Roadside Stand, but I'll be using Canned Maters when the season is over.
Now I know what we're having tonight !!!
And Thanks for the Like.

Bear

The thought of canned tomatoes has occurred to me, but I never acted on it. I will now. I am sick of store bought tomatoes that bring nothing to the party but color. The firm texture might be missing, but for the taste of a real tomatoe, I can forgive.

Interesting idea . Looks good to me . I use them all the time , just never on a sandwich . I'll have to try it .

Yup . That's what I buy . 28 oz cans .

Thank You Rich!!
That's pretty much the only way we use Maters----BLTs, Burgers, Webbers, and Salads.
And Thanks for the Like.

Bear

Ha that old Bear has come up with another great creation. We can our own so will have to give this a try this winter. If you were closer I could keep you supplied.

Warren

Thank You Warren!!
And Thanks for the Like.

Bear

n
I really like these whole canned tomatoes. I have them once in a while as a veggie for dinner. Just heat and eat with salt and pepper. I never would have thought about using them in a sandwich. Great idea.

Thank You Steve!!
The first ones I tried were too salty.
Now I make sure I get the ones with 20mg or 40mg of Sodium per 1/2 cup---No more!!
And Thanks for the Like.

Bear

Looks phenomenal Bear. Very inspiring idea!

Thank You Peach!!

Bear

It's always said when life gives you lemons to make lemonade. Some darned good thinking John, the maters from that can look rich and flavorful. Not a darned thing wrong with that prime rib sammy either, Like! RAY

Thank You Ray!!
I found that you have to get the ones with low sodium content (20 or 40 mg), or they will be too salty! Other than that, they're pretty darn good!!
And Thanks for the Like.

Bear

That will work. Thanks for the idea , I certainly may need. My tomatoes and bell peppers developed bottom end rot again. Google tells me to treat with gypsum for added calcium. Trying, hoping to save a few producing plants. Darn it. . .

Thank You Rider!!
I can't help you with "End Rot"---The only persistent problem we ever had when we grew Maters was the big Green "Tomato Worm".

Bear

Reactions: Winterrider
That will work. Thanks for the idea , I certainly may need. My tomatoes and bell peppers developed bottom end rot again. Google tells me to treat with gypsum for added calcium. Trying, hoping to save a few producing plants. Darn it. . .
Years ago a older farmer told me treat the soil in the fall with Epsom salt because it's usually a fungus in the soil that causes that not sure how true that is but may be worth a shot.

I get blossom end rot in the first few tomatoes, but not usually the peppers.
Try milk or powdered milk to add calcium in a foliar feed. Faster action then gypsum according to the natural gardeners. Not sure the dosage. Just something I remember from searching, but never tried. My blossom end rot usually goes away after the first dozen or so after not doing any treatment.
Also watch you soil ph. I'm in the "valley" high ph that inhibits calcium intake. I'm working on my garden ph with ammonium sulfate.

Years ago a older farmer told me treat the soil in the fall with Epsom salt because it's usually a fungus in the soil that causes that not sure how true that is but may be worth a shot.
Blossom end rot is a calcium uptake issue in the plant. Epsom salt adds magnesium. Too much magnesium inhibits calcium uptake.

A mans gotta do what a mans goota do. Thinking outside the box.
Where's the pickles and onions LOL gotta have them on mine.
Next time at least try dill slices.

Gary

Thank You Gary!!
Never heard of Onions on a BLT !!!
I love Dill Pickles, but not with BLTs.
I finally got a box of Chopped onions to Fry in with my next batch of Deerburgers.
And Thanks for the Like.

Bear

Way to adapt and overcome Bear! Looks real good. Excellent finding additional uses for everyday items.
Thanks for sharing.

Thank You Mike!!
These were definitely better than I expected, and I will go to them, when I can't get Fresh Tomatoes.
Bear Jr brought us 4 real nice Big Red ones from a roadside Stand, so we're on those right now.
And Thanks for the Like.

Bear

Great lookin meals. Wasnt the canned tomatoes really watered down? I mean added water. We have never bought them because I thought that. They look good thou.

Thank You Adam!!
Not Really---I expected that too, but they were plenty juicy, but solid---Not Mushy at all.
The first ones I tried were salty, but I rinsed them good & that got rid of most of the salt flavor. Then I checked the sodium content & that small can had 120mg of Sodium per 1/2 cup. Now I won't buy it with more than 40mg per 1/2 cup.
I am usually able to find 20 mg per half cup too, so that's the first thing I look for.

Bear

Great out of the "can" thinking. I'll save that thought for winter and I'm craving that summer BLT.
My ultimate BLT is the from the first tomato out of my garden.
My garden is about 3 weeks late this year and I won't go to farmer's market.
No farmer's market option for you?

Thank You!!
We don't go anywhere during this Pandemic.
However the last 2 nights we've had BLTs with Fresh Tomato Bear Jr got us from a Roadside Stand. I'll only use the Canned Maters when there are no fresh ones available.
And Thanks for the Like.

Bear

Reactions: Fueling Around
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky