Blight or Fungus

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

tntxajun

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Feb 11, 2009
Tennessee
Our weather has been very wet and ultra humid for weeks and my tomato and pepper plants have contracted either blight or a fungus. Any one know
how to tell the difference and/or what to treat them with?

The leaves around the base are turning yellow with brown splotches, leaves are shriveling. Noticed also that some of the green forming tomatoes have
dark almost black spots on their base.

Any thoughts suggestions, remedies,, ??

TIA,
Jack~

Sounds very much like the fngus that is common for roses. Got to spritz them every 2 weeks or so and it is caused by exactly what you suspect...humidity and poor air movement around the base of the plant and under the leaves.

Go to your local hradware store and look around for a vegetable fungus spray (you might be able to get a powder, but I have found that the spray form is more effective).

Good luck to you man!

The black on the bottom of your tomatoes is very likely blossom end rot, this can occur with way too much rain but the main culprit is usually calcium deficiency, I have lost so many tomatoes this year due to the weather and blossom end rot.
As for early blight, that does sound like one of the symptoms but not necessarily your problem.
Some pics would be helpful.
Do you remove the leaves when you notice them going bad?
Even if your plants are suffering from blight removing infected parts can help to slow the problem, but not stop it.
Here is a page I find pretty useful at identifying different deficiencies in tomato plants.
http://www.hbci.com/~wenonah/min-def/tomatoes.htm

When buying your spray try to find one that contains BT (Bacillus thuringiensis) and copper.

Why BT? He didn't mention worms, though it can't hurt to kill two birds at once.

I agree with the blossom end rot. You probably need lime, and this was likely exacerbated by rain washing out the previous lime (if any).

The splotchy leaves on the bottom are likely septoria leaf spot, especially since you mention tons of rain lately. You can spray practically any vegatable approved fungicide, except captan on them to cure that. Or as said before, a copper dust would probably work as a preventative, but if the temps get up the copper will probably burn the leaves. Lots of times, septoria is present all over the bottom leaves of plants, but never spreads. Too much rain can change that.....

BTW, tomato blight is also a fungus
icon_redface.gif
, just a different one.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky