Blackfish, aka Tautog, Chowder

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

WaterRat

Master of the Pit
Original poster
Feb 14, 2018
Hamden, CT
Hey All,
Had a good day this past weekend fishing and came home with some nice blackfish aka: Tog, tautog and a Black sea bass. So on a cool drizzly day yesterday I decided to make the GF some blackfish chowder. I mostly followed this recipe: https://www.food.com/recipe/blackfish-chowder-78556 but added and equal amount of celery to the onion, as well as some cayenne and fresh lemon thyme from my garden. I also used veggy stock instead of water. It came out quite tasty and very easy to do. Served with a nice loaf of sourdough and a salad. Enjoy!

20191029_172236.jpg
20191029_172247.jpg
20191029_173148.jpg
20191029_175558.jpg

One of the finest people I knew made one the best blackfish chowder on this Earth.

Miss you Crafty.

I love me some chowder(New England style - not Manhattan) and yours does look really good.

Point for sure
Chris

Any day with fish chowder is a good day.

Yours looks especially nice.

Thank you! My GF was a little warry when I said fish chowder even though she loves clam chowder and is a chef but she loved it.

Tog is a great fish, wonderful flavor.
Almost too danged good for chowder, why hide it?
It certainly does look hot, hearty and delicious.
Like!

We love a good chowder too.
Try the chowder recipe in my Index sometime.

https://www.smokingmeatforums.com/threads/redfish-chowder.253264/

Thnx Chile! More fish in the freezer and hopefully get another good fishing trip in. I'll give your recipe a go for sure. Yes, it's tasty, I guess after a summer of grilling striper and black sea bass, once tog season opens it's chowder time. Also a big thing here in NE. Also fried some the night before :)
One of the finest people I knew made one the best blackfish chowder on this Earth.

Miss you Crafty.

My regards.

Haven’t had Tog before That chowder is lucious creamy looking!! I’d devour it for sure. Where and how to you catch tog?

Haven’t had Tog before That chowder is lucious creamy looking!! I’d devour it for sure. Where and how to you catch tog?

Thank you! Tog are a heavy bodied saltwater fish. They live/hide around rock piles and shipwrecks, have thick skin and a pretty heavy slime coat to protect them from the same. We fish them anchored up (as opposed to on the drift) and use peeler/green crabs as bait. Their natural food is all types of shellfish. I fish them along the CT/RI coast from Fishers Island to Block Island.

Blackfish also make a great salad coming close to tasting like lobster. In my younger days I used to spearfish these. Excellent tasking. WaterRat I'm just south of you on Long Island. Sounds like a banner blackfish season.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky