Black Friday Traditions?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

phrogpilot73

Fire Starter
Original poster
Dec 22, 2018
Virginia Beach, VA
Does anyone have Black Friday traditions that DON'T involve fighting over a cheap TV in Walmart/cruising Amazon?

My wife and I go to the annual Christmas market at the convention center and do Christmas shopping. It's all craftsmen/small businesses. We buy candles from the couple that are veterans (and the scents remind them of their duty stations), refill our Sea Salt bath soakers with the folks from OKC, and of course - pick up some really cool food stuffs. The food haul this year - peanuts from Wakefield, VA; pasta & sauce from Franklin, TN (his great-grandfathers recipe from the 1933 World's Fair); Moroccan sauces; fried pies from the Amish Bakery, and two things I'm super excited about.

Rubs from a mom & pop in Dover, DE:
20221125_191520.jpg

And raw honey from upstate New York (ghost pepper and fermented garlic):
20221125_191631.jpg

Do you guys do anything you look forward to the day after Thanksgiving?

Reactions: tallbm and chopsaw
Nice, that stuff looks and sounds awesome! Good for you all!

Me personally, I am either hunting or home… not a crowd person!

Day drinking and college football.

Hook ‘em.

Work every year , nothing has changed except the date on the year lol

My Black Friday tradition is to avoid Black Friday.

The first time I ever shopped on a Black Friday I got up at 0430. Got dressed and drove to a nearby sporting goods store that opened at 0500. They were advertising HUGE savings.

Got there. No line. No customers in the store but me. Savings were only 10-20%. I thought screw this. I'm going back to bed.

Second time we needed to pick up an essential grandbaby proofing item for an unexpected visit. After checking several non-Black Friday stores and coming up empty-handed, Walmart was the only choice. We stood in line to pay for more than an hour.

We've not Black Friday shopped anywhere but online since.

Nice buys at the market!

Actually, NOT anymore!
When the kids were much younger, wife was out the door at 5- AM.
Did the Wally dash a few years ago to get TVs for the college age kids. Hmm that is 10 years ago and their TVs are still working.

Does anyone have Black Friday traditions that DON'T involve fighting over a cheap TV in Walmart/cruising Amazon?

My wife and I go to the annual Christmas market at the convention center and do Christmas shopping. It's all craftsmen/small businesses. We buy candles from the couple that are veterans (and the scents remind them of their duty stations), refill our Sea Salt bath soakers with the folks from OKC, and of course - pick up some really cool food stuffs. The food haul this year - peanuts from Wakefield, VA; pasta & sauce from Franklin, TN (his great-grandfathers recipe from the 1933 World's Fair); Moroccan sauces; fried pies from the Amish Bakery, and two things I'm super excited about.

Rubs from a mom & pop in Dover, DE:
View attachment 649442

And raw honey from upstate New York (ghost pepper and fermented garlic):
View attachment 649443

Do you guys do anything you look forward to the day after Thanksgiving?

I start pulling the trigger on all my Christmas shopping... from home! Yep online only for me with the exception of the gift cards I can snag off the rack at the grocery store.
Well before the holiday shopping weekend I have pretty much all of the items with links to them saved in my notes so the hunting and research is done. It's just a matter of buying if/when the prices are lowest :)

It's kind of my own little tradition to buy all my crap during the Black Friday/Cyber Monday weekend when prices are the best. So it is a treat to myself and all the big ticket items are usually discounted and if not then no biggie I pull the trigger anyhow.

This involves hunting related gear, meat processing items, whatever projects I'm getting into (this year is hydrographic paint and film dipping and rifle stock pillar+full action bedding), and other goodies I deal with throughout the year like seasonings, 6 pack of antiperspirant, etc. etc.

I get all my family and friends gifts too but it feels good to buy the stuff I've been putting off all year for myself :)

Weather permitting, it's a outside decorating melee that my wife and daughter's (now 31/30) have been doing since they were yanksters. I handle all power supply, staking, beverages, snacks and keep my mouth shut. This year my grandson(1 1/2) helped drag the empty totes back onto the porch and provides entertainment. Unfortunately this year I'm typing this from a hospital bed with spinal problems from a fall last weekend, but daughter had Skyped the set up.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky