• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

Black Cherry ok for smoking?

cripplecreek

Fire Starter
Joined Jul 21, 2010
Being from the south I have access to a lot of black cherry (prunus serotina).  Is this one of the cherry woods that would be good for smoking.  If you break a twig or cut into the wood it has a strong pungent smell.  Anybody got any ideas?        Thanks, Mike

morkdach

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
Joined Apr 8, 2007
I have not had the chance to try Black cherry but I know someone who a beer butt chicken with some & said it was great.

Just for what its worth

eman

Smoking Guru
Staff member
OTBS Member
Joined Feb 3, 2009
Just send it all to me and i'll use i and let ya know.

Nah ,It's great for smoking Need to let it age for 6 months after it's cut.

flash

Smoking Guru
OTBS Member
Joined Mar 30, 2007
Is this the large cherry tree, will small black berries? I use it all the time to smoke with. Were in the North Florida area. Love to use it mixed with Pecan or Oak.

mballi3011

Epic Pitmaster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Joined Mar 12, 2009

I'm like Bob (eman) and say to send it to me. I would love to have alot of cheery it is one of my favorite woods next to apple.

ak1

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
Joined Feb 23, 2010
What you need to do, is forget about the first word, and just remember the "cherry" part. Or remember that the scientific name is "PRUNUS".

Anything with that name smokes wonderfully. There may be very subtle differences but overall any cherry wood will be great to smoke with.

paredneck42

Joined Jan 31, 2011
I have alot of Black Cherry on property we own upstate and it is a good smoking wood i cut down what needs to be cut for foodplots and etc but try not to go crazy as they are a big money tree in my part of country, but excellent wood i agree with everyone here its cherry use it and dont let it rot!!

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected

We noticed that you're using an ad-blocker, which could block some critical website features. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.