Bit the PID Bullet

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

mosparky

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Aug 11, 2015
St. Louis area, Missouri
I did my research before I bought my MES 30 and planned on converting to PID whenever the inevitable happened. It's been 3 years or so of light use and I figured I was on barrowed time. Time to make a move while I can afford it.
I fell into the "for a few dollars more" trap. Originally wanted just a simple build a box Auber unit but decided I couldn't put together the whole thing for the cost of a single probe plug & play. Then, for just a little more, I get 2 probes and it goes on and on. Finally settled on the wifi unit, mostly because the phone app appears to make it very easy to program multiple steps. Of course, "for a few dollars more" I could get a smaller probe for smaller meats. Yep, I bit again. Worst case I have a spare probe, all be it a small one.
"For a few dollars more" appears to apply to shipping as well. It should be here the middle of next week.

Last edited:
I did my research before I bought my MES 30 and planned on converting to PID whenever the inevitable happened. It's been 3 years or so of light use and I figured I was on barrowed time. Time to make a move while I can afford it.
I fell into the "for a few dollars more" trap. Originally wanted just a simple build a box Auber unit but decided I couldn't put together the whole thing for the cost of a single probe plug & play. Then, for just a little more, I get 2 probes and it goes on and on. Finally settled on the wifi unit, mostly because the phone app appears to make it very easy to program multiple steps. Of course, "for a few dollars more" I could get a smaller probe for smaller meats. Yep, I bit again. Worst case I have a spare probe, all be it a small one.
"For a few dollars more" appears to apply to shipping as well. It should be here the middle of next week.

Hahaha it happens sometimes :)

Can't wait till you have this thing going. Let us know if you need help with the smoker rewire. It's pretty simple. Your MES will perform better than it ever had brand new. Also, you can now do sausage and bacon without fear or fat out :)

Reactions: chopsaw
Yeah I love my Auber-WS unit. Converted my MES40 over couple years ago. Funny is my MES30 still going with no issues. That unit is 6 - 7 years old. My MES40 had issues with the element not turning off right from the start. First time it went haywire I thought my Fireboard unit probe was faulty. Went out and made sure and boy was I surprised. Mes was up to 375 and still climbing. Next time it happened I again had to turn the smoker off then back on for it to start working again. After that. I bought my PID. Really happy with it. Like being able to setup heat profiles on it. One day I will set up my MES30 so I can use the unit on either one.
You'll be happy when you get your unit all setup. Happy smoking.

Reactions: tallbm
I think I got the re-wire down (not done yet). I've done electrical assembly and some design for 30 yrs.
Taking a slightly different approach. I will add piggyback quick connects to the relay and mount a on-off switch to the cover plate. With a flip of a switch I will be able to go from MES control to PID control.
I really want the PID mostly for sausage and such where I will be walking the line of causing fat out. Face it, porkbutts aren't very sensitive to temp over-runs but summer sausages and such are.
The P, I and D settings maybe another story. I've been bookmarking discussions about settings and we will see. I really don't understand the whole cause and effect of it all, so I'll most likely copy Chopsaws settings and see where that gets me first.

Reactions: tallbm and chopsaw
I will add piggyback quick connects to the relay and mount a on-off switch to the cover plate. With a flip of a switch I will be able to go from MES control to PID control.
Had the same thought when I did mine . I think once you get it dialed in with the Auber you won't want to use it any other way .
It shortens cook times by and hour or more for me .
Let me know if you have questions on the settings .

Well the PID finally came. 2nd day shipping took 3 days. So much for that "few dollars more", but not worth chasing that 4 buck refund.
Still waiting for the piggyback connectors and spare roll-out switches. Picked up some (not recommended) higher temp ones as well. Strange everything individually said delivered by Sunday, but once the order was finalized delivery says Monday.
Wife reset WIFI encryption due to Windows notices about "not secure, yada, yada> So I had to go about checking connections to WIFI and re-enter passwords as needed. Fine time to set-up the Auber connection while I'm at it.
Things went fairly well with only a couple re-tries. I was finally able to change the set temp from my phone and decided that's good enough for now. Next, when I have time and NO RAIN I'll try it outside on an extension cord and check connection from all likely locations, incase I decide to re-locate the smoker later.

Well the PID finally came. 2nd day shipping took 3 days. So much for that "few dollars more", but not worth chasing that 4 buck refund.
Still waiting for the piggyback connectors and spare roll-out switches. Picked up some (not recommended) higher temp ones as well. Strange everything individually said delivered by Sunday, but once the order was finalized delivery says Monday.
Wife reset WIFI encryption due to Windows notices about "not secure, yada, yada> So I had to go about checking connections to WIFI and re-enter passwords as needed. Fine time to set-up the Auber connection while I'm at it.
Things went fairly well with only a couple re-tries. I was finally able to change the set temp from my phone and decided that's good enough for now. Next, when I have time and NO RAIN I'll try it outside on an extension cord and check connection from all likely locations, incase I decide to re-locate the smoker later.

Ooooh sounds like things are progressing, how exciting!!! :D

I rock a safety rollout limit switch that is 350F setting so I can do quick hot smokes on chicken at 325F.
I also alligator clip my PID temp probe under the center of my lowest rack which is important so the 325F temp is read as quickly as possible at the lowest rack point in the smoker. No risk of having a SUPER hot temp lower in the smoker vs higher in the smoker. I've had no issues going this way but you understand the applied logic there to avoid running to hot in parts of the smoker lol.

So far I've ran 325F this way for a max of about 3hr 45 min for Turkeys. No signs of trouble for the few years I've been doing it :)

My self imposed limit is never go over 4 hrs at 325F. Outside of that I don't go over 275F EXCEPT if the lower rack is reading a bit lower on the right and left side then I will bump up temp so the average across the rack is 275F.

I love the flexibility but I am careful about it :)

Thanks for that. I bookmarked a thread where you said you clipped the probe on bottom rack for higher temps. But the time limit(self imposed) is new. Good idea.
I'm guessing for chicken you do the entire cook at 325 ?

Thanks for that. I bookmarked a thread where you said you clipped the probe on bottom rack for higher temps. But the time limit(self imposed) is new. Good idea.
I'm guessing for chicken you do the entire cook at 325 ?
Yep. It's the one sure way to get edible poultry skin. Cook at 325Fthe whole time. It simply works and often I can get crispy skin.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky