Bit the bullet.

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

john in ny

Original poster
Jun 28, 2012
New York
Literally.

Bought the WSM 22. Supposed to arrive on Sat. I think the first burn will be just charcoal just to make sure I can maintain a temp. as easy as I've been reading it is. Not to season the WSM. To seasone me.

Very excited, although I am still afraid I bit off more than I can chew.

So if you were me - father of a 3 yr old and a wife with a sweet tooth, what should I do first? I saw chef Jimmy's (big apologies if I'm spelling the name wrong) rub and sauce posts for a sweeter taste and was going to go with that and ribs, but the closest I've done to "smoking" has bean my chicken quarters at 300 for 2 hrs on a grill - so any advice is welcome. For example: how much beer should I have on hand?

Thanks and wish me luck!

Last edited:
Congrats on the new Toy!...Spare Ribs take 6 hours so a 12-pack of your favorite Beverage plus 2, for the unforseen, should get it done...
cheers.gif
Some Berry Wine Coolers may be just the ticket for the Mrs...

A hot WSM is not too 3 Yearold Friendly but by 3 each of my Girls were helping Dad apply Rub to Ribs, just no finger licking. Now two out of the three are finishing their Chef Training this year...

Just as a refresher, here is some info on Ribs and the Recipes...

A full rack of Spare Ribs will take about 6 hours at 225*F...The 3-2-1 smoked rib recipe is a good way to smoke ribs and tends to turn out perfect ribs every time whether you are using the meatier Full rack spare rib or the Saint Louis cut. Baby Back ribs use a 2-2-1 method. The ribs are smoked at 225 - 250 degrees for best results...
The 3 stands for the 3 hours that you initially smoke the ribs with nothing but your favorite rub on them and some smoke with your favorite hardwood such as hickory, mesquite, apple, pecan, etc. After the 3 hours you remove the ribs and quickly double wrap them in heavy duty foil.. just before you seal them up add some Apple Juice or Foiling Juice and close the foil leaving some room around the ribs for the steam to be able to flow around the meat and Flavor/Tenderize it.
The ribs cook in the smoker wrapped for 2 hours undisturbed. There is no need for Smoke at this point... After 2 hours remove the ribs from the smoker, unwrap and place back into the smoker for the final 1 hour, with smoke if you wish.This firms them up, creates a nice Bark and finishes the cooking process. You can add a glaze or sauce at this point if you like. The meat will be pretty close to fall off the bone and be extremely juicy, tender and flavorful...

http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/t/110881/foiling-juice-chef-jimmyj

This rub is Mild and compliments different style sauces well...If you want spicier increase Blk Pepper to 1T and add 1T Wht Pepper and 1T Mustard powder. The Foiling Juice makes a Rib Glaze at the end. You can add 1/2C Ketchup and 1T Mustard to make a more traditional BBQ Sauce....Anything else, just ask...JJ

Mild Bubba Q Rub

1/2C Sugar in the Raw (Turbinado)

2T Sweet Paprika (Hungarian)

1T Kosher Salt

1T Chili Powder (contains some Cumin and Oregano) Ancho Chile is same without cumin, oregano etc.

1T Granulated Garlic

1T Granulated Onion

1tsp Black Pepper, more if you like

1/2tsp Grnd Allspice

Cayenne or Chipotle Pwd to taste, start with 1/2tsp and go from there.

Last edited:
  Always start with at least a 12 pack! Never know what might happen. You can start with ribs, 5-6 hour smoke. Or chicken. Either quarters or whole. On chicken, be sure to put the rub on the meat, under the skin. There are many good recipes for rubs and sauce here, but I really like Jeff's! Also, be sure to check out the free 5-day e-course. Lots of good info there.

Mike

That's great, guys. Thank you. I should see if I can swing a kegerator just to be safe!

Thank you JJ for the recipe. I had found you post this for someone else earlier, but this will make recalling it much easier. I appreciate you putting it up again.

Well Amazon says it should actually be here today (a day early). So I'm eagerly riding the train home to see if the magical UPS guy has come yet.

Thanks again!

if you wife like sweet this sauce is pretty good.

Ingredients
  • 1/2 cup turbinado sugar
  • 1/4 cup JD
  • 1/2 cup honey
  • 1/4 cup molasses
  • 1oz soy
  • 1 cup ketchup
  • 3 tbs worchestershire
  • 2 tbs apple Cider vinegar
  • 1/2 tsp cinnamon

Directions
place all ingredients into into a sauce pan. simmer until sauce is reduced to about half. 20 mins or so.

place contents into blender and mix 

let sit for 2 days before serving.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky