Birthday Tomahawk: A Really Nice Meal (Heavy Q-View)

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

tx smoker

Legendary Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Apr 14, 2013
Lago Vista, Texas
So last Friday was my birthday. Tracy asked me on Monday what I wanted for my birthday. Of course she meant as a present. Being that there's nothing I really need or want, I told her I wanted a CPB tomahawk rib eye for dinner. God bless her, she always wants to take me out for dinner as a treat and so I don't have to cook. She's finally starting to grasp my aversion to going out but preferring to stay home and cook. She relented. Originally I was going to serve this on Friday but due to her work schedule we decided to wait till yesterday. I did get things going Thursday though originally thinking I'd cook on Friday. Here's the menu:

First course
-Beef consomme

Second course
-Cesar salads (sort of)

Main course
-Smoked reverse seared CPB tomahawk rib eye
-Portabellas in a port wine reduction
-Grilled asparagus braised in butter, shaved almonds, and sweet cranberries
-Egg noodles tossed in butter and a homemade beef sauce

Dessert
-Deep dish CI grilled bourbon peach cobbler

First we get the consomme going
001.jpg

Consomme done. Ready to strain it off
003.jpg

Run through a fine strainer lined with cheese cloth. Here's what's left to be discarded
004.jpg

Here's what we keep
005.jpg

Got the last pre-packaged tomahawk out of the freezer and defrosted
006.jpg

Steak ready to be seasoned. It's 2 pounds 4 ounces
007.jpg

Seasoned with some spice I got from Zach Misplaced Nebraskan Misplaced Nebraskan
008.jpg

Vac seal to drive the flavors home. This is Thursday so it's now going to sit for two days before cooking
009.jpg

Fast forward to Saturday. Get the asparagus ready. Butter, shaved almonds, and sweet dried cranberries
012.jpg

Start the mushrooms in a pan with some butter
015.jpg

This is the beef sauce that will go over the egg noodles
020.jpg

The port that will be used in the mushroom sauce
018.jpg

Build the port wine sauce for the mushrooms and let it reduce
019.jpg

Here is the consomme reheating
022.jpg

Steak unwrapped and ready to go on the Rec Tec. Gonna smoke low heat / extreme smoke for about 45 minutes
021.jpg

While the steak is smoking I get the salads done
023.jpg

Asparagus on the grill
024.jpg

Steak smoked. Remove, put the sear grates in, and get the grill up to 500
026.jpg

Seared one side and flipped. This is the best pic of the steak I got
027.jpg

First course: the consomme garnished with some green onions
028.jpg

Second course: the Cesar salads
029.jpg

While the steak is resting and we are enjoying the first two courses, got the bourbon peach cobblers on the grill
035.jpg

Steak sliced and ready to build the plates. I'm sorry it's not as pretty as I'd like. At this point I've been working on this meal for 3 days and I'm ready to eat. I'm kicking myself now for not putting more time into the presentation but there's nothing I can do about it at this point.
032.jpg

Dinner plated with the steak, shrooms, noodles, and asparagus. Again, I sure wish I'd taken more time on the presentation
034.jpg

And finally the dessert: cobbler with some Blue Bell French vanilla ice cream
036.jpg

All in all a very good meal and well worth the effort. Even though the carryover took the steak just a bit more done than I would have liked, it was still pink, juicy, and extremely tender. The mushrooms in the port wine reduction was fantastic. I've been playing with different approaches to mushrooms recently and this was definitely a huge hit. First time making a sauce for the noodles from scratch. I've always just gotten stuff from the store and made those. Never again will I buy them pre-made. This sauce was delicious!! Both of us just loved it. Now to the asparagus. We both love it and much prefer it grilled. I'm also constantly looking for new ways to prepare and cook it, but according to Tracy, I need look no further. This was nothing short of spectacular. The cranberries and almonds cooked down a bit in the butter and melded so beautifully with the asparagus, it was breathtaking. I still don't know where that idea came from but it hit me a couple days ago, I got my brain wrapped around it, and couldn't let it go. Glad I stayed the course. The individual cobblers was a lot of fun. I've made the bourbon peach cobbler before but always in a big CI skillet. This is the first time I've done them in the individual CI baking dishes. They cooked faster and seemed to take on a better flavor than when done in the large skillet. These were a hit.

Well, Tracy will be home from church shortly so I need to bring this to a closure and get breakfast going. Thanks once again for taking the time to share in my follies and cannot tell everybody how much I appreciated all the kind words that were bestowed on me from the post that John SmokinVOLfan SmokinVOLfan started last Friday. Sure is great to be among such a fantastic group of folks. Y'all have a happy Sunday and I'm sure i'll be seeing everybody again real soon.

Still basking in the glory,
Robert

Looks damn good!
the only thing I see wrong with the presentation is my plate didn’t have any on it!

nice work

Robert you out did yourself EVERYTHING is beautiful and I can only imagine eating all of it.POINTS Did you really have to post the Port now I must check to see if I have any left,to go with my cigar.
Richie
What is with all this swapping rubs?

Reactions: negolien
Looks fantastic! What a great meal to celibate your birthday! I totally get wanting to cook for your own b day instead of going out to eat. Im the same way!

Man that is one super fine birthday dinner!! Ribeye is my favorite steak by far and that ones perfect. Love a Cesar with any meal and I’m a huge fan of asparagus. The cobblers really put it over the top!! Great cook!

My Kind of Meal, I like everything you fixed, You don;t have a house next door for sale do you !!!

Gary

Dang you started thinking about this last Thursday plenty of time to send out invites. geeez
But I will say you did your birthday in style.

Warren

Another fantastic looking meal Robert, looks like a ton of work. I've done a port reduction on shrooms before, takes things to another level, love it. It's probably just me but that appears to be quite a bit of butter on the spargees, but I bet it was delicious! Like, RAY

Robert you outdid yourself on this one. That steak is beautiful! Whole meal is top notch! Best birthday dinner I could imagine. Points all around! Again happy birthday my friend!

Happy Belated Birthday. We had Ribeye Steaks, yesterday, that were great. Nothing that matched the quality and courses of your meal. Looks pretty amazing my friend...JJ

That whole meal looks amazing Robert! I would expect no less on your birthday! If you went out to eat, a restaurant wouldn't come close to satisfying you like that meal did.

I don't think I've ever had a birthday meal that looks that good. Top notch from appetizer to dessert.

Like!

Dang that looks great! I'm going to reverse sear some 1 1/2 in thick porterhouses tonight only 2nd I have done steak this way the 1st was awsome I use hickory and pecan wood. Has anyone used cherry on steaks or should I just stick to what i know works? I don't want to screw up 40$ worth of meat trying something new.

Looks damn good!
the only thing I see wrong with the presentation is my plate didn’t have any on it!

nice work

Thanks so much!! Appreciate it. Turned out there were enough leftovers that we could have easily fed another person or two. Sorry your flight was delayed and you missed dinner :emoji_wink:

He'll be here for the next one,
Robert

Robert you out did yourself EVERYTHING is beautiful and I can only imagine eating all of it.POINTS Did you really have to post the Port now I must check to see if I have any left,to go with my cigar.

Thanks Richie!! Did somebody say cigars? I have a huge cabinet humidor I built about 30 years ago that is full of real nice goodies. A lot of those cigars have been aging for over 30 years. There is an assortment of probably 50 different Cubans, the most recent of which has been again for over 12 years, and a ton of top-shelf Fuente's that also have been aging for as long as 25 or 30 years. It's a well stocked humidor but doesn't get the attention that it used to get, but the smokes are world class. Come on down. I'll break out the bourbon, cognac, and port. We can have a first rate cigar session....and a could really nice adult libations :emoji_laughing:

Robert

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky