big red

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

big red

Original poster
Nov 13, 2007
Hey... I am located in Iowa on the Mississippi. Have been smoking using a Wever for several years. I built a water smoker last year out of a 250 gallon propane tank (sandblasetd the interior before using) with a remote firebox that I vented into the bottom of the vertical tank. It is mounted on a trailer so I can smoke where ever I am. It is great for picnics and tailgating. I can do about 20 racks of ribs or 15 shoulders. I did up a bunch of whole chickens recently and the skin turned comepletely black and was tough and inedible, but the meat was perfect. I use charcoal to create the heat and cherry or apple for smoke. I kept the heat at about 200 and used water in the bowl and sprayed the chickens with apple juice. Am I adding too much wood and getting the smoke to heavy? I want to do some turkeys for Thanksgiving but would like to end up with brown instead of black.

Red

Welcome to SMF, Big Red!! I'm pretty new to smoking and have never used a rig anything like yours, but someone will be along before too long that I'm sure will be able to help you.

I just wanted to say "hello". Make yourself at home and don't be afraid to ask questions. Folks around here are ready and willing to help if they can. We also like to see pictures of your setup and your smoking experiences.
icon_biggrin.gif

Glad to have you with us.

Sounds to me like you had too much smoke. You want it thin and whispy not white and billowy. 300-325 degrees will give you a nice brown crispy skin.

Welcome aboard Red! I also agree with what has been posted here... bump that temp up to 300-ish and watch your smoke... you are after the thin blue. Also, try rubbing the chicken with evoo first... that will help give the skin a real nice golden brown color.

Have fun!

Hello Big Red, thanks for joining us at the SMF. What a luxury to be able to take your smoker wherever and whenever. Glad to meet you, my new friend.

Welcome to SMF!I'm glad you joined! smoke control takes trial and error.
once you learn how to get the smoke thin and blue with adequite airflow, You'll be amazed at the difference.

Good luck!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky