Big Chief's Cheesy Inaugural

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

BandCollector

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Since it was a beautiful sunny day here in Pittsburgh (ambient temperature of 37˚) I thought it would be a good time to give my Craig's List Big Chief find a spin.

Not bad for $50, Huh?

IMG_0141.jpg

I have smoked several varieties of cheese but have grown partial to the smoked Cheddar and Swiss. These were on sale so I grabbed a few.

IMG_0139.jpg

Discovered that I had run out of Todd's Apple pellets so I substituted Traeger Apple. Sorry Todd!
To dry the pellets and avoid any extinguishing issues, I put them into the microwave for one minute, allowed the pellets to cool, and repeated the process two more times.

IMG_0140.jpg

I lit my A-Maze-N tube and allowed it to flame for about ten minutes while I unwrapped the cheese and arranged them on their racks.

IMG_0142.jpg

The cheese and smoke tube are settled in for their two hour smoke. Look happy, don't they?

IMG_0143.jpg

I noticed that the Traeger pellets were really generating a great deal of smoke so I decided to prop open the Chief's door to allow for better air circulation and avoid any creosote issues.

IMG_0145.jpg

Two hours of steady apple smoke and voila, the finished product. After resting on the counter for a couple hours, I will wipe off any surface oil and put them into the refrigerator overnight. Tomorrow I will vacuum pack each block individually and allow them to mellow in the refrigerator for several months. Thanks for your interest.

IMG_0147.jpg

Smoke on Guys!

John

Last edited:
Never had an interest in smoking cheese until I read all these posts about doing it with the amazen tube. Im going to have to try this out! Looks great on your end!

Never had an interest in smoking cheese until I read all these posts about doing it with the amazen tube. Im going to have to try this out! Looks great on your end!

It's actually quite easy. Just be careful that the A-Maze-N tube doesn't generate too much heat inside whatever chamber you are using or you will have melted cheese.

Thank for the kind words. You too Weev!

John

It's actually quite easy. Just be careful that the A-Maze-N tube doesn't generate too much heat inside whatever chamber you are using or you will have melted cheese.

Thank for the kind words. You too Weev!

John

I wonder how well it would do in the Woodwind, if that is too small of a space? I could always use the WSM, I imagine I couldnt do it in the heat of summer here in Kansas.

I wonder how well it would do in the Woodwind, if that is too small of a space? I could always use the WSM, I imagine I couldnt do it in the heat of summer here in Kansas.

Heat of summer would definitely be a challenge but in the Woodwind just put the smoke tube on the left side of the chamber next to the temp. sensor and the cheese on the right side just below the exhaust. That should work.

Actually I considered using my Woodwind today but wanted to play with the Big Chief.

That Cheese looks Great, John!!:)
Nice Color on it!! Like.
That $50 Find looks Brand New!!!

Bear

John nice looking batch of cheese. Two of my favorites Swiss and cheddar.

Point for sure.

Chris

Heat of summer would definitely be a challenge but in the Woodwind just put the smoke tube on the left side of the chamber next to the temp. sensor and the cheese on the right side just below the exhaust. That should work.

Actually I considered using my Woodwind today but wanted to play with the Big Chief.

Is that where you normally place it during cooks? After reading reviews I have been placing it by the exhaust and I am wondering if thats just carrying the smoke right out.

Beautiful!
Love Sharp and especially Extra Sharp Cheddar's, and love Swiss too!
How come there is a block missing? Did you get hungry? :confused:

Ever try Extra Sharp New York Cheddar?
I think it came in a black wrapper. You'd love it!

(Made you look, made you look, made you go back to the picture ya took) :rolleyes:

Beautiful!
Love Sharp and especially Extra Sharp Cheddar's, and love Swiss too!
How come there is a block missing? Did you get hungry? :confused:

Ever try Extra Sharp New York Cheddar?
I think it came in a black wrapper. You'd love it!

(Made you look, made you look, made you go back to the picture ya took) :rolleyes:

LOL!!!!!!!

As far as I know Traeger pellets are blended with a base wood and maybe some fruitwood and some even have oil flavoring. Did a search and found a post confirming my thoughts:
https://www.smokingmeatforums.com/threads/new-info-on-whats-in-traeger-pellets.116254

Interesting!

I am not that much of a purest to worry about 100% composition. I'm sure the manufactures of the pellets we use have done their research and are putting a decent product on the market. I personally have no complaints.

John

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky