big blocks and the drip pan

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

johnnyreb

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
OTBS Member
Jul 4, 2005
SC
has anyone taken out their drip pan?
i had the smaller 36" model and it had no drip pan and i was wondering if it would be ok to use the big block without one?

Crazy,

Just curious...but what would be the point in removing it? I can't recall any situation where I thought it was in the way of anything.

I've never tried to run it w/o the drip pan in place...it does a ptretty good job of catching any errant drippings and I just wait until it cools off and before I use it the next time I scrape any build-up out with a plastic putty knife.

Cheers,
Brian

Over the past weekend I did the mondo meat smoke in my big block. I loaded it up with 4 packer cut briskets ranging from 9 to 13 Lbs. When they were done, it looked like a grease bomb went off. The water pan and drip pan caught a good bit of it. I Don't think I would ever use it without! I Need to look into foil coating both pans to make clean up a bit easier. Thank God for power washers!

t-you mean you actually got your wife to wash those for you??? :mrgreen:

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky