big blocks and the drip pan

Discussion in 'Propane Smokers' started by johnnyreb, Aug 2, 2006.

1. johnnyreb

johnnyreb Smoking Fanatic OTBS Member

SC
    has anyone taken out their drip pan?
    i had the smaller 36" model and it had no drip pan and i was wondering if it would be ok to use the big block without one?

2. brianj517

brianj517 Master of the Pit OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

Crazy,

Just curious...but what would be the point in removing it? I can't recall any situation where I thought it was in the way of anything.

I've never tried to run it w/o the drip pan in place...it does a ptretty good job of catching any errant drippings and I just wait until it cools off and before I use it the next time I scrape any build-up out with a plastic putty knife.

Cheers,
    Brian

3. Over the past weekend I did the mondo meat smoke in my big block. I loaded it up with 4 packer cut briskets ranging from 9 to 13 Lbs. When they were done, it looked like a grease bomb went off. The water pan and drip pan caught a good bit of it. I Don't think I would ever use it without! I Need to look into foil coating both pans to make clean up a bit easier. Thank God for power washers!

4. dutch

dutch Smoking Guru Staff Member Administrator Group Lead OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

t-you mean you actually got your wife to wash those for you??? :mrgreen:

5. Earl
    She said that it's my toy and I'm responsible for it's feeding and care! :p

6. kennymn

kennymn Meat Mopper

I foil coat my water pan and the dip pan and the only clean up is the racks !