Big Beef Shoulder clod smoke and some sides (lots of pics)

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

jcam222

Epic Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Jun 13, 2017
Northeast Ohio
Finally not feeling under the weather AND the weather itself is conducive to smoking. Its 30F , not snowing or raining and not a hint of wind. Feels like forever since I have fired up my 270 to do some food. Time to get going on the shoulder clod I bought a couple weeks ago. I am going to also cook up my keto cowboy beans, Daikon based sharp cheddar / bacon “hash brown” patties and lastly a low carb blackberry cobbler.

Started last night by getting out the whole clod and trimming it up. Started at just shy of 25 lbs. These are $2.99 a lbs. at GFS and the one I go to always has them in stock. Helps that the manager likes smoking them too.

whole raw clod.jpg

Trimmed down and rubbed up. This one had a little more scrap than others I have done but not bad. Probably trimmed 3.5 lbs. of fat, silver skin and hard gristle type stuff. Injected them with Butcher BBQ Prime brisket injection. I swear by that stuff!! Rubbed with a basic SPOG and then dusted lightly with a 50/50 mix of fine espresso and unsweetened dark cocoa. I will hit them again with both prior to smoking. Off to the frig they went overnight.

rubbed.jpg
rubbed small end.jpg

Next up I got my keto cowboy beans started. I use black soy beans as they are super high fiber and very low carb. Only 2 net carbs in a whole cup of them. Lots of bacon and burger help reduce the carbs further per serving. These are the bomb and completely unrecognizable as a low carb food. First up are the dry ingredients. Two large chopped onions, 2 lbs. bacon, 2 lbs. ground beef and not pictured 4 ½ cups of dry black soy beans. The beans were done in the Instant Pot with about 10 cups of water to skip soaking. 38 minutes on manual , 20 minute natural release and tender as can be.

bean meat ingredients.jpg

Fried up diced bacon with onions then fried up the burger spiced with some of my sweet heat sugar free rub.

beans ready for sauce.jpg

Next up is the sauce. 1 cup chicken broth, 12 oz. tomato paste, one can of chipotles in adobo, two bottles of G. Hughes sugar free BBQ sauce, 1 bottle G Hughes sugar free ketchup and 2 cups of Swerve brown sugar substitute. I put the chipotles, paste and chicken broth in a bowl and hit them with an immersion blender to get the peppers broke up and liquefied.
beans sauce ingredients.jpg

Mix it all up and voila here they are ready to go in frig for the night and into the smoker tomorrow. They will go below the small end of the clod so that nice beef and rub drip in them.

beans ready for smoker.jpg

Next up is the prep work for the Daikon sharp cheddar hash brown patties. One lb. of shredded Daikon (pressed some moisture out), 2/3 cup finely chopped bacon, 1 cup shredded Cabot Seriously Sharp cheddar, 4 eggs, ½ tsp. each of SPOG. Mixed all together and into the frig for later. Will top with additional sharp cheddar and green onion. These ended up being really hard to work with and get nice patties especially after leaving in frig overnight. I had to add some almond flour to stiffen it up. I will keep working at this. The flavor was excellent I just need to improve the integrity of the mix for cooking.
hashbrown radish ingredients .jpg

Last piece of prep is the blackberry cobbler. About 10 oz. of fresh berries mixed with a little Swerve sweetener and separated into 3 small ramekins. ½ cup of almond flour, ¼ cup coconut flour, 3 tbsp. Swerve.
cobbler ingredients.jpg

Mix all the other ingredients except the butter together into a crumbly dough and top the berries with it. Add thin slices of butter and a sprinkling of Swerve brown sugar substitute to the top.
cobbler ready to bake.jpg

Now back to the beef. Here is a pics of the larger piece of the clod in the smoker along with the beans. I am cooking hot today around 300F coming along pretty nicely. Pan in the bottom is full of a 50/50 mix of Minors beef broth and beef au jus along with some rosemary and thyme. Priceless liquid gold that I will use for this beef and freeze the leftover. I wrapped around 170F today and pulled at probe tender around 203F, small piece finished several hours ahead of the large chunk.

beef and beans in smoker.jpg

large end cooking.jpg

Pulled the beans after about 3 hours of smoke. Looking tasty.
beans finished.jpg

Here are pics of the smaller piece of clod out of the smoker and after an hour in the cooler. Went for all sliced today instead of chopped. It is very tender and juicy. Maybe the best I have done yet in that regard.
small end done in pan.jpg

Here are some slices
small end sliced.jpg

Here we are all plated up. This is one of my favorite meals. The Daikon hashbrown are new and a keeper as well. Ordinarily I do scalloped with smoked Gouda but this was a nice change from that. Last pic at the bottom is dessert. Baked and ready to devour!!

clod plated 2.jpg

dessert 1.jpg

dessert 2.jpg

Thanks for looking at my long windy post lol. Hope you enjoyed and maybe even got an idea or two from it. I sure enjoyed the cook and posting it!!

Last edited:
Looks amazing as always! I'm amazed with the way you come up with so many ways to keep things keto. Great looking plate and awesome write up. I could eat a pile of that stuff! LIKE!

Reactions: jcam222
Hat's off to you Jeff, thats a lot of work but boy it sure looks great. Thanks for sharing your recipes.

Jeff everything looks absolutely phenomenal! It’s crazy to think you’re losing weight with how awesome everything looks.

Nice job! Like!!

Damn Jeff that looks amazing. Like the others said keto or not that plate is off the charts. Would love to try a clod one of these days. Points all around and nice cook!

That is one amazing looking meal Jeff!! Keto or not, I'd tear up a plate or three of that!! i swear, you should write a Keto cookbook. So many people embracing that lifestyle, it'd be a given to be a top 10 best seller!!

Wow...seriously, just WOW!!
Robert

Looks great bud
Nice Spread Looks like you nailed it

Gary
Beautiful !!
Looks amazing as always! I'm amazed with the way you come up with so many ways to keep things keto. Great looking plate and awesome write up. I could eat a pile of that stuff! LIKE!
Hat's off to you Jeff, thats a lot of work but boy it sure looks great. Thanks for sharing your recipes.
Looks great. I've been wanting to try a low carb baked bean dish.
Jeff everything looks absolutely phenomenal! It’s crazy to think you’re losing weight with how awesome everything looks.

Nice job! Like!!
Keto or not!
That looks delicious!!
Nice job!
Al
Damn Jeff that looks amazing. Like the others said keto or not that plate is off the charts. Would love to try a clod one of these days. Points all around and nice cook!
Awesome noway I could lose weight eating all that.

Warren
That's a tasty looking clod to me!
And Ill have to look for those beans around here to try them... Interesting!
Nice work bud . Looks great !
looks like quite the cook ya had going on, everything looks great!!
That is one amazing looking meal Jeff!! Keto or not, I'd tear up a plate or three of that!! i swear, you should write a Keto cookbook. So many people embracing that lifestyle, it'd be a given to be a top 10 best seller!!

Wow...seriously, just WOW!!
Robert
Thanks all for the kind words and likes!! Overall its pretty easy to keep things keto and delicious. It can be done without some of the things I do but I like to not feel deprived while still staying on plan. I consider it a success when non keto folks like and devour it which is usually the case. thanks again for the likes.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky