Beware of Oklahoma Joe's JUNK and piss poor customer service!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

FlyFishinX2

Original poster
Jun 26, 2019
Hershey,PA
A buddy of mine bought an Oklahoma Joe's pellet grill a month ago and to make a long story short:
It didn't work properly right out of the box with temperature fluctuations of over 200 degrees so he called support and they sent him a replacement part which arrived 10 days later. He installed the new part and it didn't make a difference so he called again and they sent him another part which again arrived 10 days later. Installed the part and IT DIDN'T MAKE A DIFFERENCE. Called the again and they sent another part that arrived 10 days later. DIDN'T MAKE A DIFFERENCE! Sadly as far as I know good old OK Joe only guarantees his grills for 30 days and thanks to the runaround they have given him the warranty is expired. The really sad part about this whole episode is that the people that answer the phones at their customer service don't know a damn thing about pellet grills and they tried telling him the way his grill is acting is normal! "I think that's what pellet grills do ".
I'd be calling and demanding to talk to a real OK Joe employee and tell him to come pick up his P.O.S Chinese made grill and give me my money back.

STEER CLEAR OF OKLAHOMA JOES!

My OKJ highland offset had been nothing less than awesome for me. Perhaps they should have stuck to a more manual design. I’ve never really had a desire to own a pellet grill but I admit the Masterbuilt gravity feed grill does intrigue me. As far as customer service goes I had no trouble at all getting a replacement thermometer for my offset when the supplied one got some foggy moisture after the first time it rained. I’m sure that the customer service issues your friend had are just one side of a multifaceted experience. I honestly can’t complain about my product or my version of customer service. It’s not really fair to judge an entire organization on any single experience. Hopefully more of the people have the experience like mine and not like your friend. Take care and be safe out there.
G

My OKJ highland offset had been nothing less than awesome for me. Perhaps they should have stuck to a more manual design. I’ve never really had a desire to own a pellet grill but I admit the Masterbuilt gravity feed grill does intrigue me. As far as customer service goes I had no trouble at all getting a replacement thermometer for my offset when the supplied one got some foggy moisture after the first time it rained. I’m sure that the customer service issues your friend had are just one side of a multifaceted experience. I honestly can’t complain about my product or my version of customer service. It’s not really fair to judge an entire organization on any single experience. Hopefully more of the people have the experience like mine and not like your friend. Take care and be safe out there.
G
I didn't say he had any issue getting parts. What I was trying to insinuate was that the people answering the phone really weren't OK Joe employees but are an independent answering service. Why else would they be telling someone "I think that's what a pellet grill is suppose to do sir".
It is "fair" to judge an entire organization based on one experience when it is this bad. First impressions are the lasting impression.

Last edited:
Nothing makes other cooking styles obsolete imo, folks wanting to make something seem the best since sliced bread often post such silliness lol, I will have 1 sometime this summer I hope but might wait on the larger version, I aint trading or selling any cooker, they all have good and bad points and no 1 will do it all.

Sorry to hear about your friend's problems (why isn't he posting here asking for advice - the combined knowledge of the pellet masters here must be way above the whole ok joe team).

Like someone else said above: My exoerience with ok joe products is not half bad. Got their reverse flow smoker with charcoal basket for 199$. It has its weaknesses, which i was aware of before hand.

It leaked , paint on top of the fire box peeled off. But again...i knew all about this before purchase it. Had some mods done...i couldnt be happier.

These days customer service sucks for high end items, let alone for few hubdred dollar smoker made overseas. Throw in the current crisis...you'll be happy if someone picks up.

The other day i called a law enforcement line for a non-urgent issue. The same line is for certain emergencies (not 911). The recorded message "our offices are now closed". It was weekday at noon.

Reactions: negolien
I didn't say he had any issue getting parts. What I was trying to insinuate was that the people answering the phone really weren't OK Joe employees but are an independent answering service. Why else would they be telling someone "I think that's what a pellet grill is suppose to do sir".
It is "fair" to judge an entire organization based on one experience when it is this bad. First impressions are the lasting impression.

Well considering this issue happened to 'your friend' u actually weren't a part of the phone calls or anything so how is it u know anything? Just saying.. Third hand info isn't usually very reliable.

Reactions: sprky and jmtyndall
Well considering this issue happened to 'your friend' u actually weren't a part of the phone calls or anything so how is it u know anything? Just saying.. Third hand info isn't usually very reliable.

And you weren't part of the phone call nor the third hand info which makes your speculation seem pretty moronic.

Just sayin.

negolien negolien F FlyFishinX2 Let it go Gentlemen...
Yes, first hand experience provides the most credible Review...But...That doesn't mean, one of Our Own passing along a friend or relatives experience is of no value.
Before I drop several hundred dollars on a smoker, I want as much input as I can get...JJ

Reactions: okiwen and sprky
i just purchased a highland smoker by accident. and they told me it was on back order 4-6 weeks. so i called to cancel. they said the order couldn't be cancelled. so i called their parent company char broil and they said it could be cancelled because it was on backorder. so they cancelled it and refunded my money. then i went back on okjoes and ordered the longhorn which was the one i should have ordered. well the next day i received an email saying the cancelled order was being delivered in 2 days. i have no idea what is going on. so i scheduled it for delivery. as of now i also have the longhorn being delivered. that woman is obviously clueless. unless char broil deleted the order and they never sent it to ok joes. or they did and that woman ignored it. who knows. all i do know is it appears 2 separate smokers are being delivered. set aside both had a dec 2023 15% discount as well free shipping that normally is $150 per item. as you said those employees are clueless. so i shall see what the end result will be. for all i know i will end up with 2 smokers. maybe just sell one of them.

i just purchased a highland smoker by accident. and they told me it was on back order 4-6 weeks. so i called to cancel. they said the order couldn't be cancelled. so i called their parent company char broil and they said it could be cancelled because it was on backorder. so they cancelled it and refunded my money. then i went back on okjoes and ordered the longhorn which was the one i should have ordered. well the next day i received an email saying the cancelled order was being delivered in 2 days. i have no idea what is going on. so i scheduled it for delivery. as of now i also have the longhorn being delivered. that woman is obviously clueless. unless char broil deleted the order and they never sent it to ok joes. or they did and that woman ignored it. who knows. all i do know is it appears 2 separate smokers are being delivered. set aside both had a dec 2023 15% discount as well free shipping that normally is $150 per item. as you said those employees are clueless. so i shall see what the end result will be. for all i know i will end up with 2 smokers. maybe just sell one of them.
Ooorrr, you could call and ask them so they don't waste the time and money sending an item you didn't pay for? Just wondering what a Boy Scout would do….?

Reactions: BigW.
Kinda reminds of when I purchased a surface tablet because I needed one to take with me on a trip. I ordered it online, and the day it was supposed to arrive, it did not. I went back to best buy online customer service, and complained that I did not receive my order, and asked when it would arrive.

They said no problem, we will fix, must be lost in the mail. We will resend it. I feel like that was the exact verbage. A day later, tablet arrives. Two days after that, a second tablet. I only opened and used the one. Came back from trip, no emails no nothing about the second one. Inquire with online support again, and they say just drop other one off at best buy. I made them send me a shipping label, because I am guessing someone at bb retail store would just say thanks for the free pc.

Point is, I couldn't be that guy. I'm no boy scout, but I feel like that's a mistake that despite all the write offs and charge backs to shipping or usps could cost someone their job. I'm guessing that I could have sat on my hands and got a free tablet, but at what cost?

Reactions: chopsaw and okiwen
Should have took it back where he bought it from imo. whats the model number? if your wanting to get help or if just a stink call the manufacture. Verified purchasers can leave reviews in a lot better places than here to hurt sales, heck we love/hatem all here lol

I pulled up the first smoker they list and it has a 2 year warranty, I would suspect most of them have a similar warranty, reckon thats why they demand a sales receipt for warranty, something seems off about your buddys tale.

Kinda reminds of when I purchased a surface tablet because I needed one to take with me on a trip. I ordered it online, and the day it was supposed to arrive, it did not. I went back to best buy online customer service, and complained that I did not receive my order, and asked when it would arrive.

They said no problem, we will fix, must be lost in the mail. We will resend it. I feel like that was the exact verbage. A day later, tablet arrives. Two days after that, a second tablet. I only opened and used the one. Came back from trip, no emails no nothing about the second one. Inquire with online support again, and they say just drop other one off at best buy. I made them send me a shipping label, because I am guessing someone at bb retail store would just say thanks for the free pc.

Point is, I couldn't be that guy. I'm no boy scout, but I feel like that's a mistake that despite all the write offs and charge backs to shipping or usps could cost someone their job. I'm guessing that I could have sat on my hands and got a free tablet, but at what cost?
Right. Sell your soul for the price of a tablet. Not this guy.

Reactions: chopsaw
I really need to start looking back before I post on threads 3 years old brought back to life by new folks lol, as we can all see some folks just drop by to complain not to share or learn something great.

I really need to start looking back before I post on threads 3 years old brought back to life by new folks lol, as we can all see some folks just drop by to complain not to share or learn something great.
Chef Jimmy kind of gave it away didn't he? RIP bud!

Ryan

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky