Better than McDonalds Egg McMuffin

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

3-2-1

Smoke Blower
Original poster
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Aug 31, 2020
I picked up one of those egg cooking rings and have been playing around in the kitchen and discovered how to make an egg sandwich that to me tastes better than a McDonalds Egg McMuffin and reminds me a little like back in the old days when everything was a little differently made in "fast food" restaurants. The secret is to use a real Thomas original muffin and Kraft sliced American cheese. If you change out either of these for knockoff this really changes the sandwich taste. Add whatever meat product you like, I prefer the taste of bacon because well everything is better with bacon..LoL. Naw just personal preference as sausage can a bit greasy but Canadian bacon is good. This morning I decided to stay with my favorite and went bacon, hardest parts are not to over or undercook the egg (I like a little ooze) and not totally melt the cheese. Enjoy!

Attachments

• egg.jpg
    egg.jpg
    144.4 KB · Views: 38
  • salt and pepper.jpg
    salt and pepper.jpg
    131.4 KB · Views: 36
  • egg and bacon.jpg
    egg and bacon.jpg
    137.8 KB · Views: 32
  • egg and american.jpg
    egg and american.jpg
    89.5 KB · Views: 31
  • eg covered.jpg
    eg covered.jpg
    111.3 KB · Views: 30
  • egg and cheese.jpg
    egg and cheese.jpg
    135.1 KB · Views: 30
  • Thomas original muffin.jpg
    Thomas original muffin.jpg
    112.8 KB · Views: 29
  • egg on bread.jpg
    egg on bread.jpg
    125.9 KB · Views: 29
  • egg sandwich.jpg
    egg sandwich.jpg
    95.4 KB · Views: 29
  • egg sandwich ooze.jpg
    egg sandwich ooze.jpg
    119.8 KB · Views: 29
  • egg sandwich yumm.jpg
    egg sandwich yumm.jpg
    112.1 KB · Views: 28
Looks good!!
I’m to cheap to buy one of those fancy egg cooking rings, been using mason jar rings for years lol.

Probably should pony up and get one...
Never thought of a mason jar top but whatever works 👍

Looks great ! Used to love Egg McMuffins, but they started to be somewhat different some years ago. I've made similar to what you describe with bacon, but I love Pork Roll, and it's excellent with that too. Also the English Muffins are never toasted enough from McD's. Nice work, thanks for sharing.

Reactions: 3-2-1
LIKE; I use the silicone egg rings on my flat top and love them. The family likes me to slightly scramble the egg before cooking (beat me to it) but I could get down with over easy. While I agree on the points made about the muffin and cheese, the real secret to replicating the flavor of the McMuffin IMO is a well toasted muffin. PS no need to cook the cheese it will melt once assembled.

Reactions: 3-2-1 and MJB05615
LIKE; I use the silicone egg rings on my flat top and love them. The family likes me to slightly scramble the egg before cooking (beat me to it) but I could get down with over easy. While I agree on the points made about the muffin and cheese, the real secret to replicating the flavor of the McMuffin IMO is a well toasted muffin. PS no need to cook the cheese it will melt once assembled.
My wife likes the yolk broken when it's in the ring and stirred just a bit, she doesn't car for any soft yolk ooze like I do. Definitely toasting the muffin is critical to the crunch factor. I'll try next time with no lid and cut down on a dirty dish 👍 Thank You

looks good! I have some of those rings laying around somewhere. Should dig them up and make a couple.
Since Covid I've been tinkering with all sorts of gadgets but the egg rings make for a nice egg sandwich creation. Prolly wouldn't try making this on a smoker 😂

Reactions: Steve H
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky