• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

Better than McDonalds Egg McMuffin

3-2-1

Smoke Blower
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Joined Aug 31, 2020
I picked up one of those egg cooking rings and have been playing around in the kitchen and discovered how to make an egg sandwich that to me tastes better than a McDonalds Egg McMuffin and reminds me a little like back in the old days when everything was a little differently made in "fast food" restaurants. The secret is to use a real Thomas original muffin and Kraft sliced American cheese. If you change out either of these for knockoff this really changes the sandwich taste. Add whatever meat product you like, I prefer the taste of bacon because well everything is better with bacon..LoL. Naw just personal preference as sausage can a bit greasy but Canadian bacon is good. This morning I decided to stay with my favorite and went bacon, hardest parts are not to over or undercook the egg (I like a little ooze) and not totally melt the cheese. Enjoy!

Attachments

normanaj

Master of the Pit
SMF Premier Member
Joined Feb 2, 2014
Looks great!

Not for nuthin but anything would be better than CrapDonalds.

JJS

Smoking Fanatic
SMF Premier Member
Joined Mar 17, 2019
Looks good!!
I’m to cheap to buy one of those fancy egg cooking rings, been using mason jar rings for years lol.

Probably should pony up and get one...

3-2-1

Smoke Blower
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Joined Aug 31, 2020
Looks good!!
I’m to cheap to buy one of those fancy egg cooking rings, been using mason jar rings for years lol.

Probably should pony up and get one...
Never thought of a mason jar top but whatever works 👍

noboundaries

Legendary Pitmaster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Joined Sep 7, 2013
Kewl little gadget. I usually use a round stainless steel biscuit/cookie cutter, but new gadgets are always fun!

MJB05615

Master of the Pit
Joined May 12, 2018
Looks great ! Used to love Egg McMuffins, but they started to be somewhat different some years ago. I've made similar to what you describe with bacon, but I love Pork Roll, and it's excellent with that too. Also the English Muffins are never toasted enough from McD's. Nice work, thanks for sharing.

Steve H

Smoking Guru
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Joined Feb 18, 2018
looks good! I have some of those rings laying around somewhere. Should dig them up and make a couple.

zwiller

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
Joined Nov 16, 2016
LIKE; I use the silicone egg rings on my flat top and love them. The family likes me to slightly scramble the egg before cooking (beat me to it) but I could get down with over easy. While I agree on the points made about the muffin and cheese, the real secret to replicating the flavor of the McMuffin IMO is a well toasted muffin. PS no need to cook the cheese it will melt once assembled.

3-2-1

Smoke Blower
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Joined Aug 31, 2020
LIKE; I use the silicone egg rings on my flat top and love them. The family likes me to slightly scramble the egg before cooking (beat me to it) but I could get down with over easy. While I agree on the points made about the muffin and cheese, the real secret to replicating the flavor of the McMuffin IMO is a well toasted muffin. PS no need to cook the cheese it will melt once assembled.
My wife likes the yolk broken when it's in the ring and stirred just a bit, she doesn't car for any soft yolk ooze like I do. Definitely toasting the muffin is critical to the crunch factor. I'll try next time with no lid and cut down on a dirty dish 👍 Thank You

3-2-1

Smoke Blower
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Joined Aug 31, 2020
looks good! I have some of those rings laying around somewhere. Should dig them up and make a couple.
Since Covid I've been tinkering with all sorts of gadgets but the egg rings make for a nice egg sandwich creation. Prolly wouldn't try making this on a smoker 😂

Hot Threads

Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected

We noticed that you're using an ad-blocker, which could block some critical website features. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.