Best summer sausage to date

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

diyelker

Fire Starter
Original poster
Nov 7, 2012
Central IL
Thanks to all of the info on this forum I've finally made a summer sausage that I'm pretty proud of. My past attempts were all ok, but none of them left you needing more. I've learned and modified some things and finally this one is really good. I have a few things that I learned on this one too, so hopefully they just keep getting better from here. 50/50 pork/venison. Thanks gents.

Looks great...............
first.gif

Points.........

Boykjo

It's a 50/50 venison/pork butt mixture. Coarse grind

I made 4 different recipes on this run so that I could experiment. Here is one..

10lbs. 50/50

1/4 tsp ground coriander
1/4 tsp ginger
1 tsp marjoram
2 tblsp paprika
1/2 tblsp onion powder
1/2 tblsp garlic
Dextrose
3 tblsp black pepper (I like pepper, so I added a touch more)
1 tblsp mustard seed (meh, take it or leave it I say)
4 tblsp pickling salt
Prague powder #1
Binder. 2 tblsp non fat dry milk
3/4 cup low fat cultured buttermilk

Mix, re grind (coarse plate again), then either ECA or Fermento, stuff, refrigerate overnight. Smoke, I did 110 for 2 hours, then 130-140-150-160-170 bumping up each hour. Spent 5 hours at 170, then hot water bath with 175 degree water until (mine took a little over 30 mins, ymmv) 157 internal temp. Into the cold water bath to bring below 100 degrees, dry, hang at room temp a few hours, refrigerate or freeze.

Its not perfect by any means, but it wasn't too shabby. I'd like to try the bactoferm route next time. I like that tang!

Last edited:
A couple of random thoughts/tidbits and opinions.

I'd really like to try the bactoferm route, but just haven't done it yet. I hope it'll get me even closer to that commercial grade taste.

I'd like to leave it in the smoker all the way to the finish temp, but I can't trust my smoker. I feel like that finish temp needs to be nuts on. I can control the hot water bath temp precisely. I cannot control my smoker that well unfortunately.

My casings wrinkled just slightly once they came out of the cold water bath. Not sure why. It wasn't BAD, but it wasn't perfect. I want it perfect :biggrin:

I'd like to tweak a few ingredients and see what it does for me off of that one.

Last edited:
Will give this one a try. I will probably use eca since I have it on hand. Don't plan on driving into town to get anything. Let me know if the bactoferm makes an improvement in taste/texture.

Last edited:
Thanks guys.

Second batch was great too. Honestly couldn't tell much of a difference in any of the recipes. All recipes were somewhat similar so I guess I'm not overly surprised.

One question for the experts though....they came out of the smoker nice and tight and looking good visually. Then I'm hot, and cold water bathing them. After the hot water, they still look pretty good, but then the cold water bath slightly shrivels the casing. It's not bad, but I'd like them to look uniform and tight when done. What am I doing wrong? How do I get that tight casing?

Also, any bactoferms recipe and process that someone would share? Do you guys use a ph tester when you go that route??

This was a great SS run...but I am a perfectionist. :biggrin:

Looks great.

I finish in the smoker, and never cold water bath mine. They always stay tight tonthe casing. I usually pull from the smoker around 156 IT.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky