Best pork shoulder rub?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

willsmcc

Original poster
Mar 27, 2020
Hello everyone,

I just joined! I’m relatively new to the smoking world, and i’m taking down a 17 pound pork shoulder starting tonight. Anyone have a good recommendation on a rub?

Thanks!

Welcome to SMF from Gilbert, AZ! Check out Chile's rubs, they are excellent, can often be made by what's already in your pantry, cost a fraction of store-bought, I use them and love them. RAY

Welcome aboard sir. I like basic, equal parts salt, pepper, onion powder, garlic powder and half as much chipotle powder. But your request could prob be answered better ifbyou are wanting a sweeter, saltier or spicier rub

Welcome to SMF from Gilbert, AZ! Check out Chile's rubs, they are excellent, can often be made by what's already in your pantry, cost a fraction of store-bought, I use them and love them. RAY

Thanks for the input, I’ll check it out!

Welcome aboard sir. I like basic, equal parts salt, pepper, onion powder, garlic powder and half as much chipotle powder. But your request could prob be answered better ifbyou are wanting a sweeter, saltier or spicier rub
Thanks! I really enjoy a spicy rub. Have any thoughts?

First off, welcome! There’s not a better site on the Net to pick up great tips for smoking just about anything.

If you’re looking for recommendations for commercial pork rubs, my favorite is Simply Marvelous Spicy Apple Rub. IMO, for butts and ribs it’s hard to beat. If you’re looking more at some home made recipe, one of my favorites is Memphis Magic Dust:

Or, a good all around Rub is Jeff’s Rub recipe. Jeff is the owner of this site, and proceeds of his recipe sales help keep the lights on around here

Red

Reactions: willsmcc
I really like to use Jeff's rub for pork. We call it rib rub at home. It's definitely my wife's favorite. The low salt is great with pork and the sweetness to sharp notes are just the right balance for any kind of pork. Definitely worth the cost for me.

G

I tried a bunch of different rubs for shoulder. Then I read about old school Carolina pork where they only used a bunch of kosher salt. I tried that and liked it better than the others

I like Fette Sau rub on shoulders and ribs. If you're using table salt rather than kosher cut the salt back by half.
Mix well breaking up any clumps in the sugar.
Ingredients
  • 1 1/2 cups packed dark brown sugar
  • 1 cup kosher salt
  • 1 cup finely ground espresso beans
  • 1/4 cup freshly ground black pepper
  • 1/4 cup garlic powder
  • 2 tablespoons ground cinnamon
  • 2 tablespoons ground cumin
  • 1-2 tablespoons cayenne pepper

Welcome to the Forum, will! As you can see there are a number of rubs and everyone has a favorite.
Look around and pick one and see what happens.
My, that's a big butt you have there!
Oops...

I use a variation of the Memphis Dust rub. I add 2 TBSP of Cumin and 2 TBSP of Chipotle Chili powder and use it on all pork products I make. My family is all about it.

I really like to use Jeff's rub for pork. We call it rib rub at home. It's definitely my wife's favorite. The low salt is great with pork and the sweetness to sharp notes are just the right balance for any kind of pork. Definitely worth the cost for me.

G
Awesome, I’ll give this a try at some point. Thanks!

First off, welcome! There’s not a better site on the Net to pick up great tips for smoking just about anything.

If you’re looking for recommendations for commercial pork rubs, my favorite is Simply Marvelous Spicy Apple Rub. IMO, for butts and ribs it’s hard to beat. If you’re looking more at some home made recipe, one of my favorites is Memphis Magic Dust:

Or, a good all around Rub is Jeff’s Rub recipe. Jeff is the owner of this site, and proceeds of his recipe sales help keep the lights on around here

Red
Thanks so much for the input! I’m going to give all these a try at some point. I think i’m going with the Memphis Magic Dust and this big guy. I’ll let you know how it goes.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky