1. Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

Best places to buy wood in NOVA

Discussion in 'Virginia Smokers Group' started by m3pwrofm3, Aug 20, 2018.

1. m3pwrofm3

m3pwrofm3 Newbie

Hey everyone!

New to the forum but I just got my first wood burning/ charcoal smoker and wanted to know where others are buying their wood in the NOVA area. Looking for Hickory, apple wood, Oak, etc. Really excited to crack open a beer and watch some LOTRs while tending the fire :D.

Greg

2. motocrash

motocrash Master of the Pit OTBS Member

Welcome from Winchester.What smoker do you have and where are you located?

3. kruizer

kruizer Master of the Pit

I found my wood guy on Craigs List. It is good to buy local.

4. m3pwrofm3

m3pwrofm3 Newbie

Thanks for the replies! I just got an oklahoma joe with mods on the way. I'm in Manassas currently, I contacted a few people around the area but seems they only do sales by the cord which is way more than I need. I had not thought about craigslist though, that's a great idea.

5. motocrash

Keep in mind your firebox size when buying/cutting wood.I believe most with your smoker burn charcoal and add small splits/chunks.

6. m3pwrofm3

m3pwrofm3 Newbie

Yep, I am going to cut down the wood to smaller sizes to fit in my fire basket. I'll probably run mostly coal until I get a better handle on my smoker.

7. motocrash

You might check with local tree companies also.

8. torp3t3d0

torp3t3d0 Smoke Blower SMF Premier Member

MY SON IN LAW SUPPLIES ALL MINE....HE HAS ANY SPECIES YOU MAY NEED....He lives in Germantown, MD....I live in Oakton/Vienna

9. Marcsmith

Marcsmith Newbie