Best length of time to add smoke

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

boblloyd91

Fire Starter
Original poster
May 22, 2016
Lynndyl, UT
My neighbor and I were shooting the breeze a few weeks back about our BBQ habit, and he mentioned that he feels during the cooking process, the time spent with the actual smoke shouldn't be more then five hours. I was curious what you all thought. If I'm continually adding smoke during the whole cook time, could it negatively affect my meat?

Pretty much a matter of Taste. Some folks can't handle...I mean, like a light smoke and think 4-5 hours is enough. I look at it this way...IT'S A SMOKER... If there is meat in there you should be makin' Smoke. Stick Burners can't turn off the smoke after 5 hours. And those guys don't think the meat is too smokey.

I have done testing on this " Theory. " I always add smoke with my AMNPS as long as the meat is in the smoker. Now I am not above smoking a big Butt for 8 hours and finishing in foil in the oven, but there is a HUGE flavor difference between 4 hours and 8+ hours of smoke on the meat. Especially with a Butt that the 10% smokey Bark gets mixed into the 90% of the meat smoke never touched. I had a neighbor that pitched a fit every time I lit my MES. So to be nice I thought I would limit my smoke generation to 4 hours. After all guys say that is enough, right? NO FREAKIN' WAY! That was the most Bland Smoked Pulled Pork I have ever eaten. Might as well just put it in a Crock Pot with a bottle of BBQ Sauce...JJ

Last edited:
Reactions: boblloyd91
Good point. I haven't noticed it being too much of a problem myself, but it was a perspective I've been considering when I have others over for dinner and they may have different tastes than me.

As long as there is meat in the smoker, it's smoking, unless it's in foil.

But in my stick burner it's smoke all the time.

Al

Reactions: boblloyd91
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky