Best Knife to cut Brisket

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

JBCWCHS06

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Jul 30, 2022
Was wanting some suggestions for a knife to cut Brisket and ribs because everything I have right now just doesn't seem to get the job done the way I want. All I have are some regular knives I use in the kitchen and then my boning knife for trimming briskets and such

Reactions: JLeonard
I have a long 14" serrated blade knife i use. Kind of looks like a bread knife on steroids. Basic knife but works. I keep it razor sharp so there is no tearing of the brisket. I like the long blade, its longer than the width of the brisket so you don't have to move the knife much, just slight back and forth, cuts clean leaves a nice looking slice. I use the same knife for cutting bacon also, gives a nice straight cut.

My opinion
Corey

Will likely get many varied responses here. This is what I have used. I also have used a non-serated knife like this for the brisket.

IMG_0164.JPG

Was wanting some suggestions for a knife to cut Brisket and ribs because everything I have right now just doesn't seem to get the job done the way I want. All I have are some regular knives I use in the kitchen and then my boning knife for trimming briskets and such
I have and use one like indaswamp indaswamp but it is long overdue for a sharpening. Also I just got one that was at the restaurant supply store when I was there at one point in the past so nothing fancy or special.

In all, I think having a big/long enough knife that can be sharp is about all you need to consider.

$0.99 at the thrift store . Re-did the handle but it was plenty sharp . 11" blade . Technically it's a carving knife , not a slicer . Works pretty good . If I was slicing a lot of brisket I'd get a nice slicer .
1684338751302.jpeg

Reactions: sawhorseray
I have a couple of 10" scalloped-edge carving knives. Not a fan.

I have a 10" straight-edge gyuto-like knife I use for brisket. The blade is thinner than my other knives, but a thinner blade would work better. One of these days I'll buy a 12" or larger knife, straight-edged. We only smoke a couple of briskets a year so that's my hesitation for getting one now.

Reactions: chopsaw
Forschner 10" straight edge. If I ever replace it, I'll go with the same but a 12". It's very thin. It's also 25-30 years old, so I may never replace it lol. I'd like to look at a granton edged one. I've never used one but I hear they slice very nicely. I like my tomato sliced paper thin and piled high, from what I've seen the granton helps with stuff like that.

jcam222 jcam222 I tried a Mercer knife a few years ago (2019) and I loved it, 8" chefs. I think it was about 12 bucks, and it's still only 14$. I'd just moved out and the people that rented me a room had walmart knives they had apparently sharpened on concrete. I was dead broke but I HAD to have a knife.

I now own 3 Mercers. A boning and a utility joined the pack and I use them almost exclusively. They are just flat out comfortable and a few strops on the steel is all they have ever needed, though the boning knife is in need of a touch up.

And by touch up I mean throw it away and buy a new one for 12$
I suck at getting a knife to scalpel sharp..... and I need my boning knife scalpel sharp.

Those white handle ones are the ones I like.

Forschner 10" straight edge. If I ever replace it, I'll go with the same but a 12". It's very thin. It's also 25-30 years old, so I may never replace it lol. I'd like to look at a granton edged one. I've never used one but I hear they slice very nicely. I like my tomato sliced paper thin and piled high, from what I've seen the granton helps with stuff like that.

jcam222 jcam222 I tried a Mercer knife a few years ago (2019) and I loved it, 8" chefs. I think it was about 12 bucks, and it's still only 14$. I'd just moved out and the people that rented me a room had walmart knives they had apparently sharpened on concrete. I was dead broke but I HAD to have a knife.

I now own 3 Mercers. A boning and a utility joined the pack and I use them almost exclusively. They are just flat out comfortable and a few strops on the steel is all they have ever needed, though the boning knife is in need of a touch up.

And by touch up I mean throw it away and buy a new one for 12$
I suck at getting a knife to scalpel sharp..... and I need my boning knife scalpel sharp.

Those white handle ones are the ones I like.
Mercer are very widely used commercially.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky