Best Hot Dogs

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
For national, I prefer Oscar Mayer believe it or not!
Florida hotdogs ! On vacation in Florida years ago bought some Oscar's to cook up for lunch . Son was about 5 . For weeks he talked about " Florida hotdogs " .
I agree with you . Nothin wrong with Oscar Meyer .

I wonder how many remember this commercial:<snip>
Not only do I remember it, but I had a wiener whistle, like the one that was played by the kids in the commercial. Where did I get that whistle? From the Wienermobile which came to our local grocery store and was handing out whistles.

As for my current favorite hot dog, I did a huge amount of research into this two years ago, and bought packs of various brands that seemed to consistently show up on various "best" lists. Like many others who have posted, I found Nathans's skinless hot dogs to be the best for most meals. I also like Hebrew National, but the garlic is pretty overpowering, depending on what else you are having with the meal.

[edit]I just did a short (5 minute) version of my "best hot dog" research and pretty much every list included the two I mentioned, and one or the other was always in the top two, with many of the comments about the differences between Nathans and Hebrew National echoing what I wrote above. BTW, both Nathans and Hebrew National come in several different varieties so, for instance, if you find Nathans traditional skinless dog to be too skinny or small, they do make a larger version.

Last edited:
Wife bought some Nathan's last night and was in the mood to get creative and tried a Greek/Detroit chili for them. Pretty dang good. To be honest, I like loaded dogs. Chicago garden style, coney, Cincy chili, kraut, etc so in the end the dog is a little less important.

With a few exceptions, the Dogs seem to be less full flavored and can't stand up to the toppings. In NJ, the Texas Weiner, Chili, raw Onion and Yellow Mustard, and the Shickhaus Dog stood above and was complimented by the toppings. Just not the same, taking old taste buds and years of smoking in to consideration...JJ

Casper's dogs...if I buy 'em from the store.
Screen Shot 2019-06-18 at 6.51.52 PM.png

Prefer all-beef made & smoked at home!
Frank_cool02_sml.jpg

Glaziers, Hebrew Nat. jumbos are pretty good. But our favorite is the Zweigle's brand. The red or white good. But their pop open whites with natural casings are the best. Which we are going to grill tomorrow!

hot dog.jpg

Reactions: bill ace 350
Next time I'm in Buffalo, I have to stop at Ted's.

Their dogs are excellent, think they might be Sahlens, not sure, but whatever brand, they taste good!

Couldn't help myself. saw some Glaziers and bought them. picked up some Grandma Browns baked beans too.

Simple but great lunch!
would have been better on charcoal, but they hit the spot.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky