Best commercial buns for pulled pork sandwiches?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Greyguy

Original poster
May 16, 2018
I have seen a great recipe for homemade pretzel buns for pulled pork that I will try down the road. What works best from the grocery store that won’t get soggy and crumble?

i have gotten pretzel buns from Walmart that are pretty good and some great pretzel rolls from Lidl. pretzel buns/rolls make great pulled pork or a big Kaiser bun works well too!

Happy Smoking,
phatbac (Aaron)

My wife is a big time baker, so she makes all our breads & buns. But I think the sesame seed buns from Pepperidge Farms are pretty sturdy.
Al

I don't like allot of bread when eating PP so I use the regular hamburg rolls. To prevent sogginess I just build the sandwich just before eating.

Chris

Hawaiian Kings, or regular size potato buns are my favorite. I like smaller softer breads, especially for things PP. But I also like to toast the bun a little bit. Ciabatta seems to be the trend these days though.

Interesting that you mentioned ciabatta bread. I made great turkey sandwiches with ciabatta but thought they may be too chewy for pp. Maybe I should try them.

I realize the OP asked for a pretzel bun recipe, but here is my "go-to" all time favorite bread dough recipe ever, and especially for serving with my PP. It is really nice because it is so versatile to make a lot of different things, such as buns, parker house rolls, crescent rolls, cinnamon rolls, sesame or poppy seed buns, etc. The best part is you make the dough ahead and is meant to leave it in your fridge, then have fresh rolls all week as you need it! But mine doesn't last that long. (Oh... and one more thing... do yourself a favor and go to the store to get some FRESH GOOD bread flour, and yeast when you make it.)

Potato Refrigerator Dough

1 Package active dry yeast
1 1/2 cups warm water (105-115')
1/2 cup sugar
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
2/3 cup shortening
2 eggs
1 cup lukewarm mashed potatoes*
6 1/2 to 7 cups all purpose flour**

* Instant mashed potatoes can be substituted for the mashed potatoes; prepare as directed on package for 2 servings
** If using self-rising flour, omit salt.

Dissolve yeast in warm water in a large mixing bowl. Stir in sugar, salt shortening, eggs potatoes and 4 cups of the flour. Beat until smooth. Mix in enough remaining flout to make dough easy to handle.

Turn dough onto lightly floured surface, knead until smoot and elastic, about 5 minutes. Place in greased bowl; turn greased side up. Cover bowl tightly; refrigerate at least 8 hours but no longer than 5 days. Punch down dough. Shape. let rise and bake as directed.

Parker house rolls
Prepare Potato Refrigerator Dough. Divide into halves (refrigerate 1 half for future use) Divide remaining half of dough in halves. Roll 1 half into rectangle 13/9 inches., cut into 3-inch circles; brush with margarine or butter softened. Fold each so top half overlaps slightly. Press edges together. Place close together in greased round baking pan 9x1 1/2 inches. Brush with margarine or better softened. Repeat with remaining dough. Let rise until double, 45 to 60 minutes. Heat oven to 400' Bake until light brown 13- 15 minutes. 20 rolls.

Credit: Betty Crocker- Best of Baking

If you are looking for a regular ole hamburger bun you can buy off the grocery store shelf and not spend $4 a package try the ballpark brand. Always good and worth the extra $.50 over the store brand. Now if it was just my family it would be Kings Hawaiian all day but normally smoking a pork butt lots of people end up coming over and $5 for 6 buns doesn't go very far!

Reactions: SlickRockStones
My first few tries at PP were really wet ones. Tons of vinegary stuff that would totally saturate and ruin a plain bun but now that I've gotten better at making it I don't use any sauce. I've actually gotten kinda picky about about it and think sauces etc are crutches. A little sauce is one thing but so much that it will ruin a regular bun is too much.

I'm going with Hawaiian King's also. I prefer the little rolls that make up more of a slider size but my wife prefers the hamburger bun size. Their hamburger buns are pretty small so I'm sure most people would be good with that. I just prefer the inherent sweetness of that brand. It pairs perfectly with the pork in my opinion. Enjoy.

George

I just stumbled upon ciabatta sandwich rolls by Seattle Baking Company and they have been just perfect for me. They are a little bigger and flatter than some ciabatta rolls and do not fall apart with sauces.

I either love cheap crummy buns <Yanno like Wonder bread for grilled cheese right?> Or I grab some thing from the bakery. Totally agree Pretzel buns are awesome, so are hard rolls, the big kind. They can absorb alot and not fall apart, and I like to lightly grill them before using. Also smash them down a bit so you can actually bite into one!

I tried a lot of different types of buns. Too soft and the bun melts when you add finishing sauce. Too stiff and the meat slides out when you bite down. I've been using Orowheat Whole Wheat hamburger buns. Not crazy about the flavor, but they are a nice middle-of-the-road firmness that holds up well.

I'll have to look for the challah buns. Can't recall ever seeing those. The ciabatta I've tried have been a little too stiff. Tasty though.

For flavor, I love the Hawaiian dinner rolls with a plop of pulled pork, onion, and slaw, no sauce. Two bites, gone. Lot of carbs though.

We mostly shop at Kroger and they have a very nice "Private Selection" branded potato bread bun that is both soft, tasty and large in diameter. Slightly toasted on the blackstone griddle, these are our new favorite commercial buns for burgers and pulled pork sandwiches.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky