Best Buy Dates.... Cure #1

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

HowlingDog

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Jan 16, 2019
So I just ordered a pound of Cure #1 from Amazon and delivered today (in less than 24 hours). It has a best by date on it of 2024. I pulled out the old package of cure that I have had at least 4 years and the best by on that one is Nov 2023..... Makes me wonder if they "adjusted" their best by dates to be a little sooner.

I generally follow best by dates, but the more I read about them, the products seem to be good for months or years beyond the stated date. I know it is a CYA for the company but does salt and nitrite really go bad?? I have had canned food many months past the best by date and I am still around.... (and sadly, still a little too round).

I have some cure 2 that is at least 20 years old. Not an answer to your question , but I have no concerns . Just cured a coppa with it .

I believe it's just to get you to buy more sooner... Since most buy bulk it's years before needing more since you only use small amounts at a time ...

Reactions: DougE
Thx. Kinda figured that it would last for a long time. Like hog casings, my Mom stored them in salt in the fridge for years. Now a days they are labeled "best if used in 6 months"....

How ironic ... My brother... who doesn't read the forums or even smoke food... Sent me this... Just as we are discussing Best Buy dates here...

Best Buy Dates.png

Saved. Thanks. Interesting that spices are "good" for 2-4 years as I have heard they lose a little flavor over time.

Uh, I do not think I have even had cookies last beyond the weekend.....

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky